Luca Curci on Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:29:42 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [event] [Barcelona] [International ArtExpo] bac!05 - barcelona

Untitled Document   bac!05 - international festival of contemporary art in
=
barcelona sixth edition - from november 8th to december 11th 2005

      International ArtExpo and Luca Curci, coordinated by Karenina
Fabrizz=
i, in partnership with Gigi R. Harrington (director of La Santa),
presents =
Art and Violence, a selection of 12 videoartists on the theme of
violence. =
For more info about artists click here

      Art and Violence. Contemporary art has become more and more engaged
w=
ith the representation of violence. Artists have been using violence in
the=
ir art for a very long time. Today they look at how violence in visual
cult=
ure has affected our society and our views on violence. Many artists draw
o=
n personal experience to create their artwork and have experienced
violence=
 personally. Other artists are inspired by images of historical acts of
vio=
lence, others chose to address contemporary issues of violence such as
dome=
stic abuse, rape, homophobic acts, genocide, racial hatred, war crimes
and =
sanctioned executions. Sometimes we see artists making art about
difficult =
subjects as an act of defiance. It can allow artists to have a voice and
no=
t be silenced or ignored. Art can bring out things that we may suppress
or =
try to hide deep down in our unconscious. Art can give us a way to help
us =
confront our personal demons and can actually help us to heal from
terrible=
 experiences of violence. Is violence in art an action, reaction, or
reflec=
tion? Luca Curci=20
       =20
      .places
      CCCB Centre de Cultura Contempor=E0nia de Barcelona - La Santa
Proyec=
tos Culturales, Barcelona

      .artists
      agnese purgatorio . italy | geert wachtelaer . belgium | giacomo
cesa=
ri . italy | luca curci . italy | luca curci & fabiana roscioli . italy |
g=
illes delalex & thomas wessel-cessieux . france | heidi vogels .
netherland=
s | jason jagello . france | karenina fabrizzi . italy/argentina |
michael =
mastrototaro . austria | robert boyd . usa | sarina khan reddy . usa

      Thanks for your time,
      Luca Curci - art director
      phone. +39.338.7574098
      e-mail. lucacurci@lucacurci.com