Kate Armstrong on Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:20:23 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [event] Upgrade Vancouver//with Mark Brady

Hello!

Our exciting third season of Upgrade is now underway. The next event, a
talk by Mark Brady, is happening Tuesday, November 1st at 8pm.

WIth the notion that "our current cultural interregnum may be defined
more by the questions we ask than the answers we come up with", Brady
will attempt to answer the following questions:

--What is the relevance of collaboration in contemporary art practice?
What is our relationship to failure?
--What are the alternative cultural and cognitive hypotheses in our
techno-fetishistic milieu? What is the virtual?
--Who are we, artists? researchers? designers? producers? socialites?
What is transdisciplinarity?

Brady will discuss these questions with reference to the 3 streams that
inform his practice - the intermission artist collaborative,
computational poetics, and his physical object designs //sculptures.

Mark Brady
Mark Brady makes software, sound and light art. As a collaborative and
reflective practitioner the ephemeral qualities of software, sound and
light
afford him opportunities to explore alternative cultural and cognitive
hypotheses in our techno-fetishistic milieu. Brady has exhibited work in
London and Tokyo, teaches at Simon Fraser University's School of
Interactive Arts and Technology, is a founding member of Vancouver's
Intermission Artists Society, was arrested once, and has performed once
at the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Hope to see you all there!
Kate Armstrong

Upgrade Vancouver: