pieter van bogaert on Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:22:33 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [event] EXCESS - exhibition - Hasselt - Belgium

.

EXCESS - images and bodies in times of excess
February 12 - May 21, 2006
Z33, Zuivelmarkt 33, B-3500 Hasselt, Belgium
www.squarevzw.be/XS

An exhibition with works by Sergei Bugaev Afrika, Saed Andoni, Herman
Asselberghs, Heather & Patrick Burnett-Rose, Lieven De Boeck, Harun
Farocki
& Andrei Ujica, Kendell Geers, Jean-Luc Godard, Felix Gonzalez-Torres,
Sagi
Groner, Thomas Köner, Kuda.org, Teresa Margolles, Renzo Martens, Alice
Miceli, Christof Migone, Rob Moonen & Olaf Arndt, Steve Mumford, Els
Opsomer, OVNI, Dierk Schmidt, Alexander Sokurov, Terre Thaemlitz,
Pierre-Yves Vandeweerd en Geert Van Moorter.

Exhibition design by Ann Clicteur.
Curator is Pieter Van Bogaert.

EXCESS  places the everyday image flow in newspapers, on television and
on
the internet within a broader perspective.The exhibition shows both
mediated
images and unmediated; made by professionals and amateurs; spectacular
and
unspec­tacular ones; images that are unreachable, that maybe haven't
been
made yet or that are already forgotten.

After experiencing the September 11 attacks live on radio and
television;
after seeing photos of torture in Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq worldwide on
the
web; after getting explosions in London immediately on the mobile it
seems
like nothing happens without there being images of it. We are inundated
by
them, from the newspapers in the early morning to the late-night news on
television.

Or is that just how it feels? Are we being blinded by a surfeit of images
or
a lack of them? Do we see the same images too often and is there a need
for
greater diversity? Perhaps we have to conclude that there are never
enough
images for a correct representation of reality.

These and other questions link EXCESS to Jean-Luc Godard's Histoire(s)
du
Cinéma. This film history, which is also a history of the 20th century,
pays
as much attention to the films that were not made as to those that were.
EXCESS wants to transpose this Borgesian project to the digital era.
Which
images do we see (or see too much) and which do we not (or too little)?
And
another important point: how do we react to these pictures? What feeling
arises amongst them?

A search for the pictures behind the reality is inevitably also about
the
reality behind the pictures. It is a visual experience, but certainly a
physical one too - a confrontation with the pictures and with the body
with
which we view them. This makes each image different for everybody. In
agreement with Godard, we can already conclude that this exhibition will
not
present the right image, just an image: "pas une image juste, juste une
image".

Z33, Zuivelmarkt 33, B-3500 Hasselt, www.Z33.be

Find out more on www.squarevzw.be/XS