Alan Sondheim on Fri, 12 May 2006 21:42:02 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Talcott Parsons videotape transcription with the AJES

.

Talcott Parsons

A different sort of reference -

In 1973 I was between Rhode Island School of Design and Brown University; a special seminar was held at the latter, with Talcott Parsons, the premier sociologist of the day. The taping was amazing, as was Parsons. Now, over thirty years later, a special issue of The American Journal of Economics and Sociology is devoted to Parsons, and to the session in particular - there's a full transcription and pictures (you can see my back and my EIAJ deck in it - it's eerie). I'm fascinated by it; I was contacted a few months ago concerning my part in the event. (I remember audio buzz and the difficulty of setting up a proper wiring scheme for the mics.) In any case, it's odd how these things return; you can order the Journal, I think - it's Volume 65, Number 1, January 2006; you might look for http://www.blackwellpublishing.com if you're interested. I think Parsons has an important role to play in structuralism and its problema- tic, in the analysis of the phenomenology of power, and the fall of "grand theories." Take a look, especially if you can find it for free - Alan