Beatriz da Costa on Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:20:23 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [ann] Fwd:ISEA2006 ARTS WORKSHOPS

.

 From: hobson@ucla.edu
 Date: July 27, 2006 2:07:03 PM PDT
 To: hobson@ucla.edu
 Subject: [UCDARNet ann-list] ISEA2006 ARTS WORKSHOPS

    13th International Symposium of Electronic Art
    http://01sj.org/content/blogcategory/13/102/

  P L E A S E   D I S T R I B U T E   B R O A D L Y.
     (apologies for cross and multi postings)

    (7) ISEA WORKSHOPS - SAN JOSE, CA  August 2006
 Tix: http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid110251
 NOTE:  scroll halfway down the ISEA ticket side bar to get to
 workshops ticket area.
 [*Special student rate of $5 applies to some workshops*.  Contact
 Brenda McHenry at (408) 286-2600 X23 to request a student rate.]

 ISEA Venue map:  http://01sj.org/content/blogcategory/0/190/

 1)  Sound in Public Space: signal | process Workshop* @ $25 general/

 $5 students
 Monday and Tuesday, August 7 + 8, 10 AM  6 PM
 McEnery Convention Center, 150 W. San Carlos St., San Jose
 [Between Almaden Boulevard and Market Street]
 Presenter:  Sophea Lerner

 ---

 2)  WetWare Hackers Workshop @ $100
 A Series of Hands-On How-To Workshops on Biotech Art and Wet Lab
 Procedures.
 Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 7 + 8; 10 AM  5 PM Garage Building near

 Parkside Hall, 180 W San Carlos St., San Jose
 Presented by:  Beatriz da Costa and Tau-Mu Yi/UC Irvine; Oron Catts/

 Univ. of Western Australia; Paul Vanouse/SUNY Buffalo; and Natalie
 Jeremijenko/UC San Diego

 ---

 3)  Landstream: public visualization Workshop @ $25 gen/$5 student*
 Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 7 + 8, 9 AM  6 PM, South Hall, 435 South

 Market St.
 San Jose	  	 Pressenter:  Olga Kisseleva

 ---

 4) DIY Urban Challenge Workshop @ $10
 August 7 + 8, 9 AM  6 PM
 Presenters: Jonah Brucker-Cohen, Katherine Moriwaki

 ---

 5) Computer Vision for Artists: San Jose Remixed Workshop @ $25
 Tuesday, Aug. 8, 9 AM  6 PM, Parkside Hall, 180 W San Carlos St.,

 San Jose
 Presenter:  Andrew Senior

 ---

 6) 46rom Crisis to Bliss Workshops - $25 Every Day Pass/$5 daily pass
 Monday - Friday, Aug. 7 - 11, open 3-6 PM, workshops at 4 PM VIP
 Suite, McEnery Convention Center, 150 W. San Carlos St., San Jose
 [Between Almaden Boulevard and Market Street] Curators:  Sarah Cook

 and Beryl Graham/CRUMB

 ---

 7) Transparent City: Augmenting your neighborhood with everyday
 media, FREE Northside Community Center, 488 N 6th St, San Jose
 Saturday, Aug. 5, 10 AM  3 PM
 Presenter:  Lotte Meijer and Adam Hyde

     D E S C R I P T I O N S  L I N K S:

 1)  Sound in Public Space: signal | process Workshop* @ $25 general/

 $5 students
 Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 7 + 8, 10 AM  6 PM
 McEnery Convention Center
 Presenter:  Sophea Lerner
  	  	 What kinds of public space exist in your city? Who can
use
 these spaces and how? Who controls the sounds you hear in public
 spaces?  How is sound involved in the control and flow of spaces
 around us?  How can we participate in the sonic life of our cities?

 What signals can we find and process and transmit? Come and explore

 and participate in the sonic landscape of San Jose with Australian
 sonic media artist Sophea Lerner.

 Over two days of discussions, presentations and practical workshops

 you are invited to engage in listening as an active research tool
 for exploring the city around you and find ways to respond to or
 intervene critically in the sonic environment. Using simple DIY
 electronics to draw out unheard elements of the electromagnetic and

 acoustic environment, participants will work in groups to prototype