CR+D on Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:08:18 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> News from the Daniel Langlois Foundation

.
Interview with Per Biorn

During 9 Evenings: Theatre and Engineering, presented from October 13 to 23, 1966, at the 69th Regiment Armory (New York, NY, U.S.), engineer Per Biorn designed technological components to control various elements (projectors, objects, lights) used in the performance Carriage Discreteness by Yvonne Rainer. He also built a number of TEEM decoders and contributed to the development of the Ground Effect Machine, a compressed air module used in Vehicle by Lucinda Childs. Following 9 Evenings, in addition to his work with Bell Telephone Laboratories (Murray Hill, NJ, U.S.), Biorn continued to design and build technological components for numerous artists. He also restored a number of works of art.

This interview with Mr. Biorn, produced by the Daniel Langlois Foundation, was taped on August 25, 2004, in Berkeley Heights (NJ, U.S.). Present at the interview were Julie Martin, Vincent Bonin and Éric Legendre.

The interview has been divided into chapters to facilitate navigation and listening:
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/flash/e/index.php?NumPage=1940

Research and Experimentation Grants in Art+Science+Technology

The Daniel Langlois Foundation is resuming its research and experimentation grant program for individuals or research groups. Call for proposals start on November 1st 2006.

This program offers grants to individuals of all nationalities who make exceptional contributions to the advancement of knowledge at the crossroads of art, science, technology and the environment, or to candidates whose projects show a high level of originality and innovation in these domains. These research and experimentation grants carry a maximum value of $ 75,000 CAD and are intended to assist these people in the research, exploration and the development of their projects.

The deadline to submit a proposal is January 31st, 2007. It is mandatory to use the on-line form:
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/e/programmes/ind/menu.html

Please consult the program guidelines for more information (PDF format) :
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/pdf/e/prog_ind.pdf

Radical Software

>From 1970 to 1974, the magazine Radical Software published 11 issues, which, over time, became a pre-eminent source of information on the pioneers of the video age. During this short period, Radical Software was witness to the birth of the video movement and certain intellectual undercurrents from this era that drew together video, cybernetics, information technology, social activism, counterculture and art. The various issues featured contributions by Nam June Paik, Douglas Davis, Paul Ryan, Frank Gillette, Beryl Korot, Ira Schneider, R. Buckminster Fuller, Gregory Bateson, Gene Youngblood, Ant Farm, and many others.

Since 2003, the Daniel Langlois Foundation has made the entire content of Radical Software available on the Internet, complemented by essays by Davidson Gigliotti and David A. Ross, and a search engine that allows visitors to explore the magazine's content in depth. Interest in Radical Software continues to grow. The September 2006 issue of British magazine Frieze features an interesting article on Radical Software by Will Bradley entitled Turn On, Tune In. We invite you to discover, or rediscover, the extraordinary wealth of information in Radical Software:
http://www.radicalsoftware.org/

The artists and engineers of 9 Evenings: Theatre and Engineering, New York, 1966

On October 28, the Daniel Langlois Foundation presented the conference by Clarisse Bardiot, a 2005 researcher in residence at the Foundation's Centre for Research and Documentation (CR+D). Ms. Bardiot presented the Montreal public with her research findings on 9 Evenings: Theatre and Engineering, the unprecedented event that brought together the worlds of art and engineering in a "new media" experiment that was well ahead of its time.

We invite you to consult the Web site 9 Evenings: Theatre and Engineering created by Ms. Bardiot and the Foundation during her residency:
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/flash/f/index.php?NumPage=571