kanarinka on Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:29:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> CALL FOR WORK: A Thousand Tiny Sexes

.
/*********/ please forward /***********/

A THOUSAND TINY SEXES
A publication edited by Jaimes Mayhew and kanarinka
www.1000tinysexes.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --
CALL FOR WORK

To imagine that there are only two sexes - M & F - is an absurdity. There are at least 1000 sexes. The daily lived reality of transgender and intersexual people (and gay, lesbian, queer and all other people, for that matter) proves this over and over again, yet many people continue to operate as if 'M' and 'F' are the only sexes, the only options, the only expressions, the only goals, the only way ("the way it is").

Help us imagine 1000 more sexes. Describe them, imagine them, invent them, publish them, use them, realize them, perform them.

A Thousand Tiny Sexes is an art-book-research-action project to collect and publish 1000 proposals for TINY SEXES which are not Male or Female. We are setting out to collect a thousand more sexes - imaginary ones, as-yet-unrealized ones, or real ones- in the hopes that these one thousand might make for one thousand more after that. In so doing, we hope to contribute to a collective reimagining of sex as a legal, biological, political, economic, cultural, and political category.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --
ABOUT THE PUBLICATION

The collection of A Thousand Tiny Sexes will be published as a book with an introductory essay by the editors, Jaimes Mayhew and kanarinka. We are seeking publishers. The publication will be available for sale once published. Submissions must meet the criteria below and the editors reserve the right to reject any submission.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION

* Deadline: No deadline, we will keep collecting until we have 1000 good ones.
* You may not propose a sex such as Male or Female that has been legally codified and naturalized as "the way things are".
* You may propose "in-between" sexes which are combinations of Male- Female, but we will favor sexes that seek to entirely reimagine sex as a biological, cultural, political, and social category.
* Multiple submissions OK.
* We prefer visual submissions to text, though both are ok. Diagrams and drawings with fine lines are especially encouraged.
* Original artwork will not be returned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --
HOW TO SUBMIT

* Download and Complete the submission form on the website - www. 1000tinysexes.com
* Attach your Drawing, Image or Text. 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches (3.8 cm x 3.8 cm) or less in dimensions. B&W, no Color.
* Email 300dpi electronic submissions to 1000tinysexes@gmail.com or mail them to: Jaimes Mayhew, 102 Longwood Ave #3, Brookline, MA, 02446.

QUESTIONS?

* Email us at 1000tinysexes@gmail.com
* Visit the site at www.1000tinysexes.com

IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING ABOUT THE TITLE

"If we consider the great binary aggregates, such as the sexes or classes, it is evident that they also cross over into molecular assemblages of a different nature, and that there is a double reciprocal dependency between them. For the two sexes imply a multiplicity of molecular combinations bringing into play not only the man in the woman and the woman in the man, but the relation of each to the animal, the plant, etc.: a thousand tiny sexes."
(Deleuze and Guattari, A Thousand Plateaus).

"There is nothing about a binary gender system that is given."
(Judith Butler, Undoing Gender)