Marieke Istha on Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:43:37 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Symposium: The Body as Interface, December 15

.
The Body as Interface

Symposium December 15, 2006
Location: Netherlands Media Art Institute
Time: 13.30 – 19.00 hours
Entrance: 10,- (students 8,-)
Reservations: 020 6237101, info@montevideo.nl
Language: English
Live Stream: www.montevideo.nl

Looking at interactive art practices artists and critics will shed light on one of the key concerns for many creative practitioners - engaging the emotions of the audience/user. They will focus on the meaning and wish for 'emotional engagement' and interactivity.

Artists seem compelled to expand the sensory capabilities of our bodies, but what do we gain through this process? How do we conceptualise interactivity and incorporate emotional values? Does interactivity offer, due to its participatory nature, a more profound experience than traditional forms of art? How does one engage and sustain the interest of the public in an interactive experience? How does one define the line between spectacle and works that create a chain of associations and provide a space for engagement, interpretation and participation?

Moderator: Ole Bouman

13.30 – 14.00 h.
Presentation: Renee van de Vall (University Maastricht, MA Media Culture)

14.30 – 16.00 h.
Discussion with:

Kristina Andersen (Media Design, Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam and Steim, Amsterdam)

Christa Sommerer (media artist and professor at University of Art and Design in Linz Austria) - http://www.interface.ufg.ac.at/christa-laurent/

Paul Verschure (Group Leader Institute of Neuroinformatics, ETH-UZ, Zurich) - http://www.ini.unizh.ch/~pfmjv/
http://www.mvrdv.nl/

Opening 17.00 hours of Dune 4.0 from Daan Roosegaarde with live performance by Ellen Pieterse in collaboration with Melange. Dune 4.0 is an interactive landscape that was developed specially for the Artist in Residence program in order to investigate the functioning and presentation of interactivity. Dune 4.0 is a work-in-progress. No entrance fee.
www.studioroosegaarde.net

Netherlands Media Art Institute
Montevideo/Time Based Arts
Keizersgracht 264