Mark Shepard on Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:49:36 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> CFP: Situated Advocacy

.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Situated Technologies Pamphlet 3: Situated Advocacy
http://situatedtechnologies.net/?q=node/76

Deadline for abstracts: February 15, 2008

The Situated Technologies Pamphlet Series invites submissions for its upcoming volume on “Situated Advocacy.”

Advocacy is the act of arguing on behalf of a particular issue, idea or person, and addresses issues including self-advocacy, environmental protection, the rights of women, youth and minorities, social justice, the re-structured digital divide and political reform. How might Situated Technologies be mobilized toward changing and/or influencing social or political policies, practices, and beliefs? What new forms of advocacy are enabled by contemporary location-based or context-aware media and information systems? How might they lend tactical support to the process of managing information flows and disseminating strategic knowledge that influences individual behavior or opinion, corporate conduct or public policy and law?

+ Submission details:
We are seeking submissions from pairs of authors, in keeping with the format of a “conversation” between two individuals or groups. Please submit a 500 word abstract and short bio for each author (150 words max) in Rich Text Format (RTF) by February 15, 2008 to editors@situatedtechnologies.net. We expect final manuscripts will range from 7500-10,000 words and will be due by May 16, 2008. Please contact us if you have questions about potential essays or the Situated Technologies Pamphlet Series in general. More information is available at http://www.situatedtechnologies.net.

+ About the Series:
The Situated Technologies Pamphlet Series consists of nine short pamphlets to be published over the next three years, exploring the implications of ubiquitous computing for architecture and urbanism: how our experience of space and the choices we make within it are affected by a range of mobile, pervasive, embedded or otherwise “situated” technologies. The series, published via print-on-demand (POD), consists of a succession of “conversations” between researchers, writers and other practitioners from architecture, art, science and technology studies, comparative media study, performance studies, and engineering.

+ Series Editors:
Omar Khan, Trebor Scholz, Mark Shepard

+ Advisory Committee:
Keller Easterling, Anne Galloway, Malcolm McCullough, Howard Rheingold

+ Publisher:
The Architectural League of New York
http://www.archleague.org