okno on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:21:07 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [OKNO] [Code31] Workshop :: Mesh networks

.
##### Announcing :: Workshop  :: Mesh networks - Sensor networks #####

The second workshop in this series will focus on two different ways of
building wireless sensor networks, both using open-source software.

We'll continue our exploration of the last workshop about wifi mesh networks.

Using openwrt on cheap linksys/asus access points, to build our network
on the bigger (city) scale, and using arduino and the xbee shields
to explore zigbee mesh networks on the smaller (local) scale  -

##### The workshop will be taught by Maxigas & Akos Maroy #####

Maxigas :

A cyberpunk and anarchist studying aesthetics, film, English and squatting.
He is boiling his evil plan to take over the world in the kitchen budapest,
and the ingredients are the Internet, wireless networking, independent media
and the Multitude. He cares about DNS politics and owns his domain name
(or perhaps vica versa). When he grows up he wants to be a hacker.

http://maxigas.hu/
http://kitchenbudapest.hu/en/node/235

Akos Maroy :

Ákos Maróy works for a software development company focusing on outsourced
software develpment. He's been involved in different art-projects and initiatives,
collaborated with the nextlab crew on the pavilion for the venice biënnale.
Ákos has developed the open source media streamer DarkIce.

http://nextlab.hu/akos
http://tyrell.hu/
http://nextlab.hu/

##### About Openwrt - Zigbee ####

Openwrt is a linux based firmware for embedded computing that was originally
developed for linksys gateways and routers, but that has since been expanded for other chipsets.
There are different examples all over the world where this firmware is being used to
setup open and free wireless city networks, i.e. Freifunk in Berlin,

http://openwrt.org - http://freifunk.net/ - http://www.freenetworks.org/

ZigBee is a protocol for short range wireless data communication.
ZigBee is targeted at radio-frequency (RF) applications which require a low data rate,
long battery life, and secure networking.

##### a more detailed schedule is available on http:// code31.lahaag.org/?id=839 #####

We're online using IRC  /server irc.freenode.net   /channel #code31
( irc://irc.freenode.net/code31 )

Everybody is free to join, but _please announce your participation by
email to ef4db@code31.lahaag.org

From jan 21st until jan 26st
at OKNO headquarters - Koolmijnenkaai 30-34 quai des charbonnages - 1030 BXL

Supported by:
The wireless mesh workshop is part of the .x-med-k. series, organised in
collaboration with nadine and FoAM and supported by the Flemish
Audiovisual Fund (VAF).
The Flemish Authorities (Vlaamse Gemeenschap) and the Vlaamse Gemeenschapscommissie (VGC).