Eric Kluitenberg on Tue, 2 Sep 2008 22:09:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> FWD: Saturday, September 20th a worldchat session on neo-censorship.

.
From: Menno vd Veen <mennov@balie.nl>

Saturday, September 20th De Balie - centre for culture and politics in
Amsterdam organises a worldchat session on neo-censorship.

By neo-censorship we mean modern ways of censorship not imposed by
governments but by citizens, organizations and companies that use all
kinds of tools to prevent others from using their right to freedom of
speech.
Such tools are lawsuits, money, etc.
Think of papers that refuse to print well written opinions, museums
that refuse to exhibit art, schools that refuse to teach scientific
theories, libraries that refuse to buy books, movie companies that cut
scenes from their movies, etc.

We hold that this kind of censorship is more dominant in western
countries than (classical) state censorship.

Do you agree? And if you do, what can we do about it?

We invite you to send your opinion and real life examples of neo-
censorship (before September 12th) so that we can use them as
discussion statements for our session.

The session offers a wonderful opportunity to have your opinions
discussed by writers, artists, scientists and other interested persons
from around the world.

We welcome your participation but can only offer a limited number of
people access to the session. Therefore, send us an e-mail before
September 10th.

The session is organised as part of the international conference on
Neo-Censorship that takes place in Amsterdam at September 19th-20th.
The outcomes of the session will be used for a publication.

For more information

www.debalie.nl
www.amsterdamwereldboekenstad.nl

david.glas@balie.nl