stephen kovats on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:16:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> transmediale.10 - FUTURITY NOW! Early Bird Passes available until Dec 18!

.
FUTURITY NOW!
transmediale.10 |  2 - 7 feb 2010
festival for art and digital culture berlin
*Early bird discounts of 10% on transmediale.10 Passes until December 18, 2009*

'But my mind was too confused to attend to it, so with a kind of madness growing upon me, I flung myself into futurity.'
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

As 2010 approaches - a year which has been synonymous with past images of the future - it is clear that global society is neither the utopia nor the dystopia traditionally presented in the fictions, architectures and theories of the 20th century. Rather, it is an increasingly complex web of economic, political and cultural systems dependent on the convergence of rapidly evolving technologies that compress what used to be thought of as 'future' into a more coherent and malleable 'present'. As the future catches up to us, as a concept of technological evolution and progress, it seems to be experiencing an identity crisis.

transmediale.10 FUTURITY NOW! invites YOU to ask not what the future has in store for us, but what is it that we have in store for the future?

Dear Spectrites!

The programme for transmediale.10 - FUTURITY NOW! taking place Feb. 02 - 07, 2010 in Berlin is almost complete!

The festival kicks off Tuesday evening, February 2 at Berlin's landmark House of World Cultures with a welcome address by Computer Art pioneer Herbert W. Franke and a special live concert featuring Charlemagne Palestine playing Berlin's unique bell tower - the Tiergarten Carillon.

The festivalâs exhibition âFuture Obscuraâ, by transmediale guest curator Honor Harger presents artworks that use the materials, mechanisms and machines of image-making to illuminate and define our relationship with atemporality - the collision of past, present and future. Over a dozen international artists, including Zilvinas Kempinas, Julius von Bismarck, Ken Rinaldo, Alice Miceli and Julien Maire, have created create interdisciplinary explorations of light and chronology - some of which are new works premiering at transmediale.10 - which will unfold across the House of World Cultures, and several urban spaces within Berlin.

http://www.transmediale.de/en/transmediale10-exhibition-future-obscura

The daily programme begins on Wednesday February 3rd with the âFree Culture Incubatorâ Salons curated by Public Art Lab curator Ela Kagel, the Phuturama sub-conference hosted by c-base 'conceptioneer' Gregor Sedlag and this yearâs Marshall McLuhan Lecture by telepresence artist Graham Smith. Daily screenings curated by Marcel Schwerin highlight works from the Award competition and explore atemporal junctures between technology and image production.

Spectacular performances by Ryoji Ikeda and JÃrgen Reble with Thomas KÃner initiate tm.10âs extensive live programme including six events in collaboration with CTM which also reflect their theme 'Overlap', and feature some of the most important figures working within music and sound today.

http://www.transmediale.de/en/festival/performances

The tm.10 'Future Observatory' conference, with keynotes by Bruce Sterling, Conrad Wolfram and Richard Barbrook, kicks off on Friday February 5, with a special âFuturity Long Conversationâ bringing 23 leading artists, designers, theorists, journalists and media interventionists, including people such as Jem Finer (Longplayer), Susan Neiman (Einstein Forum), Andy Cameron (fabrica), Denisa Kera (transgenesis), Gustaff Harimann Iskandar (common room network), Trebor Scholz (digitallabour), RÃgine Debatty (wemakemoneynotart), and Warren Neidich (Flusser Award 2010 nominee) among distinguished others. From their own positions and experience, they will discuss, contextualize and explore the abstract and qualitative elements defining our take on what the concept of future - and with that, the tm.10 festival theme FUTURITY NOW! - must be today. Accompanying the âFuturity Long Conversationâ transmediale.10 Award nominees Sosolimited will unveil an entirely new work 'The Long Conversion', using ground-breaking text and visual analysis tools, as a tandem live coding performance of the The Long Conversation.

The format of the Long Conversation was developed in conjunction with the Long Now Foundation, an international organisation crafting ways with which to perceive time and durational process in radically different and perhaps media technologically appropriate ways. In their approach, we are in a period which redefines the 'now' within a timespan of a 1000 years, altering our notions of future and the acceleration of progress and development.

Artists Salons, workshops, satellite events across Berlin and a special night of sound art and performance from Shanghai - Myths of the Near Future - complete the program!

**** EARLY BIRD PASSES UNTIL DECEMBER 18th ****

Reserve your Festival Passes now for transmediale.10 FUTURITY NOW!

Early bird discounts of 10% on all transmediale.10 Day Passes and Festival Passes, as well as Kombi Passes for transmediale and club transmediale (CTM) are available until December 18, 2009 only! The discounts apply to all Passes - including reduced student passes, and are done via reservation and invoiced pre-payment.

To reserve your passes, please use the form here:

http://www.transmediale.de/en/node/10490

More programme info, details schedules will be published soon!

We invite you to launch into futurity ... now! and join the 'transmediale' facebook group, or follow us on twitter (you can tag the festival #tm10)

greetings to all, and looking forward to seeing you in Berlin,

Stephen