Turbulence on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:38:57 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Turbulence Commissions: "Journal of Journal Performance Studies" and "I am unable to tell you"

.

June 17, 2010

Turbulence is pleased to announce two new commissions: "Journal of Journal Performance Studies" by Nicholas Knouf and "I am unable to tell you" by Benjamin Dean.

"Journal of Journal Performance Studies" by Nicholas Knouf

http://turbulence.org/Works/JJPS/

"Journal of Journal Performance Studies" (JJPS) is a series of three interrelated works that engage with academic publishing. The project consists of a Firefox extension, an online radio, and a journal. The JJPS Firefox Extension overlays bibliometric data, graphs of journal ownership, and journal cost onto publisher websites. The extension also replaces advertisements on scholarly sites to provide a glimpse into the future of scholarly distribution. JJPS Radio is designed as a fully-automated internet radio station, presenting recitations of articles in our database of hundreds, translations of texts into sound, and news and views important for the study of journal performance. JJPS Radio suggests not only new methods for the dispersion of academic work, but also re-purposes academic texts as its source material. The Journal is an experiment in the propagation of scholarly work. The hope is that the journal will develop into an ongoing project on the limits of contemporary intellectual representation.

BIOGRAPHY

Nicholas Knouf works in the interstitial spaces of digital art, sound, information science, and science and technology studies. Recent projects have been featured in international exhibitions such as "Esse, nosse, posse: Common Wealth for Common People" at the National Museum for Contemporary Art in Athens, Greece (2010) and electro_online (2009). Past and current work has been recognized by a number awards, including an Honorary Mention by Prix Ars Electronica in [the next idea] category (2005), the Leonardo Abstracts Service (LABS) for his master's thesis (2008), a memefest Award of Distinction (2008), and a special transmediale "Online Highlight" (2009). Additionally, his work has been discussed in print and online media, including ID Magazine, the Boston Globe, CNN, Slashdot, Afterimage, and networked: a (networked_book) about (networked_art). More information can be seen at his website, http://zeitkunst.org.

"I am unable to tell you" by Benjamin Dean

http://turbulence.org/works/unable/UnableToTellYou.html

"I am unable to tell you" is an experiment in collective solipsism. It's about leaving your fingerprints on the glass you were trying to clean. It's only someone else's experience. It's about the closure property of sets. It's just the referents. It's depth-first search. It's about being face to face. It's about not talking. It's turtles all the way down.

BIOGRAPHY

Ben Dean makes many different things for many different reasons. He considers art a form of experimentation, believes science to be a way of discovering beauty, and thinks engineering is just plain fun. Ben was educated at Yale University, and lives in Brooklyn. He is always interested in collaboration, and would love to hear from you. Email Ben at bddbbd.b [at] gmail.com

Jo-Anne Green
Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.
917.548.7780 or 617.522.3856