Melinda Rackham on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 06:42:01 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Invite: The Memorial: Opening Tuesday June 29 2010 6-8pm

.
Hi there
If u are in Melbourne next week it would be lovely to see you at the opening of the Memorial - in which I have a tapestry of the Laughing Cavalier made by my late mother.

http://www.deathbekind.com/exhibitions/the_memorial.html

The Memorial
Opening Tuesday June 29 2010 6-8pm

For the first exhibition of DEATH BE KIND, curators Claire Lambe and Elvis Richardson present The Memorial - an elaborate display-case housing a collection of beloved objects that once belonged to a deceased relative, friend, acquaintance or lover chosen by over 100 people from all walks of life who have kindly participated in this project.

The Memorial presentation is reminiscent of the small private museum and employs the language of display to create symbiotic dialogues through the relational placement of the works. A complex display case has been constructed so as to elevate the importance and meanings of the beloved objects and gently navigate the viewers experience of the gallery space.

The Memorial retells the stories behind the objects that we keep to evoke memory of the deceased, how these objects maintain ongoing relationship with the dead, and how these material possessions remain important in memory making. Each object has been documented and texts collected from the holder about their object to create a catalogue of texts that caption the objects personal meanings in a zine.

Zine also features writers Morgan Fayle, David Luker and Ruth Learner and artist Marina Lutz.

best wishes

Melinda

Melinda Rackham
melinda@subtle.net