Bishop Z on Wed, 25 May 2011 15:03:14 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Brighton Digital Festival - 1-30 September - 1st announcement

.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Honor Harger <honor@lighthouse.org.uk>
Date: May 25, 2011 3:28:07 AM CDT
Subject: [spectre] Brighton Digital Festival - 1-30 September - 1st announcement

Dear spectres,

I just wanted to give you some advanced notice about a new community-run festival we're helping to put together here in Brighton.

I hope some of you will be able to join us for some of the exciting exhibitions, performances, conferences and workshops we're planning this September, which will bring together leading international artists such as Blast Theory, semiconductor, Ben Frost and Random Dance, alongside thinkers and storytellers like Don Norman (Design of Everyday Things) and Matthew Sheret (last.fm).

There's an introduction to a few of the projects we're presenting below, and we'll be releasing more information in the coming weeks and months.

Best wishes,

Honor Harger

Director
Lighthouse
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk

BRIGHTON'S DIGITAL FESTIVAL
01-30 September 2011
A month long celebration of digital culture
http://brightondigitalfestival.co.uk

Brighton's digital festival will be a month-long celebration of digital culture happening in September 2011.
The month-long season of exhibitions, performances, meet-ups, workshops and outdoor events run alongside Brighton's iconic digital design conferences.

Featuring leading international artists, designers, dancers, technologists, thinkers, filmmakers and makers, the programme is being put together by a diverse range of designers, tech companies, arts organisations and individuals who are passionate about digital culture.

Below is a little taster of what we're planning. There's lots more to come so keep an eye on http://brightondigitalfestival.co.uk or follow @BrightonDigital on Twitter for updates.

dConstruct
02 SEPTEMBER
An annual, internationally renowned conference gathering some of the brightest minds in the design community. This year speakers include Don Norman, Stephanie Rieger and Matthew Sheret.
Organised by Clearleft
http://2011.dconstruct.org

Maker Faire
03 SEPTEMBER
Join makers, crafters and inventors and interact with fascinating creations, home-spun robotics, garden shed inventions, circuit boards and the occasional fireball. Learn to solder or make a musical instrument at this hands-on day of creative invention and technological discovery for all ages.
Supported by Lighthouse
http://www.makerfairebrighton.com/makers/

A Machine to See With by Blast Theory
SELECTED DATES FROM 01-30 SEPTEMBER
Become the star of your own heist movie as Brighton's internationally renowned digital artists Blast Theory put you in the heat of the action. This 'locative cinema project' for pedestrians and their mobile phones was a major hit at this year's Sundance Film Festival and we're delighted to be bringing it to Brighton for the digital festival. Co-produced with Lighthouse.
http://www.blasttheory.co.uk/bt/work_amachinetoseewith.html

Improving Reality
23 SEPTEMBER
A one-day conference that shows how artists and designers are working with digital technologies to radically re-engineer the world in which we exist. Thinkers and makers from the technology, film, education and art worlds will explore how the current generation of makers is not only attempting to augment reality, but rather to go one step further, and improve reality.
Organised by Lighthouse, it features Julian Oliver, Tassos Stevens (Agency of Coney), Matt Adams (Blast Theory), Alice Taylor (Makieworld), Matt Hanson and many many others.

- FAR by Random Dance
26 SEPTEMBER
Wayne McGregor's Random Dance is a truly ground-breaking dance company, incorporating digital technologies into live choreography. This all embracing approach has led to a string of truly unique works. FAR is is danced by an ensemble of ten incredible performers and set to a new, haunting score by critically acclaimed composer, Ben Frost.
http://www.brightondome.org/events/Far/4228

Šand more!

This is just a taste of the festival. We're currently planning more exhibitions, meet-ups, BarCamps and outdoor events.

If you've got ideas for events or projects you want to organise for Brighton Digital Festival, please email digitalbrighton@gmail.com

Brighton Digital Festival is coordinated by Lighthouse (with lots and lots of help from a wide array of individuals and organisations).

Supported by Arts Council England.
--
Honor Harger

Director
Lighthouse
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk

Address: 28 Kensington Street, Brighton, BN1 4AJ, UK
Tel: +44 1273 647197
email: honor@lighthouse.org.uk

Find us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/LighthouseArts