Kristoffer Gansing on Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:14:37 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [call] transmediale 2012

.
transmediale 2012: in/compatible

transmediale 2012 info and call for works 6-2011
// transmediale is an in/compatible being
// festival in transformation
// tm.12 â Call for Works!
// CTM.12 â Spectral

The 2012 edition of transmediale takes place in the Haus der Kulturen
der Welt (HKW) , 31 January â 5 February 2012 exploring the theme of
in/compatible. As a festival exploring transdisciplinary critical and
speculative positions in art, technology and culture, transmediale is
always in transformation.

Below is a short summary of what has been and what is to come. If you
have further questions, please connect to our new IRC channel where you
will also be able to follow the work-process until 2012.
[server: irc.freenode.net channel: #transmediale port: 6667] or directly
at http://www.transmediale.de/

transmediale is an in/compatible being
The 2012 edition of transmediale explores the theme of in/compatible.
tm.12 postulates that incompatible beings drive the logic of
contemporary cultural production. We understand in/compatible beings as
aesthetic things and processes that do not necessarily connect on the
terms we are used to. The festival wants to raise the question of what
happens when such incompatible beings are brought to the fore rather
than hidden away in the dark underbelly of digital culture?

tm.12 will mark the 25 year anniversary of the festival, to be reflected
in a program that both looks back at the festival's role in the past and
at the same time redefines what it could be in the future. Born as
VideoFilmFest in 1988, the festival was from the beginning an outlet for
the kind of hybrid artistic and activist practices that did not fit in
at the regular film festivals. In this sense the in/compatible theme is
also a reflection on the festival as such, always searching for new
questions and formats.

festival in transformation
transmediale Award RIP! For the 2012 festival there will be no general
transmediale Award. This change reflects our new ways of producing the
festival: adopting the thematic approach early on we aim at curatorial
coherence across the different programme sections and at the same time
we wish to engage more directly in our community.

Consequently, the call for tm.12 is tied to a thematic rather than an
Award competition resulting in an Open Call for Works and the VilÃm
Flusser Theory Award now takes the form of a residency programme for
artistic research. For 2012 there will be no Open Web Award, but the
critical discussion of the politics of open and closed systems will
continue in new formats.

The decisions to cancel the transmediale and the Open Web Award are also
connected to the development of a new project, "resource", an all-year
project working as a form of distributed project residency for
transmediale's local, regional and international community. As a
combination of networking, research and curating, the resource is a new
framework for festival related projects that happen throughout the year.
The launch of the resource will take place in 2012 and will in itself be
an important feature of the 25th anniversary, looking into the future
while acknowledging the importance of the festival as an accessible and
dynamic forum for the translocal media art scene as well as for
interdisciplinary cultural producers and researchers.

tm.12 in/compatible is brought to you by a team comprising of fresh and
veteran transmediale forces: Kristoffer Gansing is our new artistic
director as of April this year, Tatiana Bazzichelli steps in to command
the resource project, Jacob Lillemose will be helming the exhibition all
the while Marcel Schwierin for the third time presents the film and
video programme. Markus Huber continues as programme manager, Filippo
Gianetta as marketing whiz, Christine Bernauer as budget mastermind with
assistance from Susanne Bernstein who also coordinates our new tm
archive project. TBC as our team expands in the coming months.

In Summer 2010 the Advisory Board of transmediale reformed itself and
since then the following members support the development of transmediale
with words and deeds: Prof. Dr. Dieter Daniels (chair), Dr. Marie
Cathleen Haff, Prof. Dr. Marie-Luise Angerer, Alex Adriaansens, Jan
Edler, Hortensia VÃlckers.

tm.12 â Call for Works!
Thematic Call for Works 2012
VilÃm Flusser Residency Programme 2012

Deadline: 31 August 2011

The selected works will form part of our extensive exhibition,
screening, performance and conference programme. Projects may also be
entered for the VilÃm Flusser Residency Programme (formerly Award),
taking the form of a 2 month artistic research residency jointly run by
tm and UniversitÃt der KÃnste in Berlin.

THEMATIC CALL FOR WORKS 2012
With the conceptual framework of in/compatible we are looking for
artistic works in any genre and format that either explicitly or in more
subtle ways engage the incompatible nature of contemporary technological
cultures. We imagine that these works rather than anticipating
resolution, address, accentuate and invest in the unresolved tensions
across translocal media practices and systems. In particular we are
calling for works take us by surprise by not quite "fitting in".

Works taken into consideration for the program can be related to the
following keywords and areas:
Dissensual aesthetics, hacktivism, operating systems, speculative
realisms, queer technologies, strange ontologies, displacements,
ecologies, psychedelia(s), glitches, spam, media-archaeologies,
technological obsolescence, haunted media, reverse remediations, the
untimely, erotics, ambivalences, tools, law, anxieties, confusions,
violence, obscurities, junk, addictions, restlessness,
user-unfriendliness, destructions, attractions, surveillance, accidents,
dysfunctionality, isolation, punk, feedback as distortion, surrealisms,
aggressiveness, the uncommon, frustrations, spiritualities, risks,
dubious calculations, psychosis, uneven structures, crimes.

Read about the full conceptual framework, the application procedure and
the Conditions of Entry:
http://www.transmediale.de/festival/call-for-works

VILÃM FLUSSER RESIDENCY PROGRAMME 2012
For VilÃm Flusser theory and praxis are intrinsically tied to each
other. His nomadic thinking was shaped by a philosophy of positions, the
experimental testing of different ways of thinking and the linking of
different disciplines and methodologies played a significant role for
him.

The newly organised VilÃm Flusser Residency Programme supports projects
and activities which are simultaneously conceptual and practice-based.
The programme is geared towards the initiation of new research or to the
further development of existing projects. This is not a production grant
and while a public presentation/event will be expected, there is no
pressure to present finished works. Where applicable, the support of
publications, exhibitions, interventions and other results of the
residency may be negotiated on a project to project basis. Special
priority will be given to young and/or emerging artist-researchers.

We are calling upon artistic research to actively explore the
capabilities and limitations of transdisciplinary and transmedial
situations in contemporary culture and thus to understand artistic
research as exploring the links between aesthetics, materiality and
politics.

Read the full conceptual framework, about the application procedure and
the Conditions of Entry:
http://www.transmediale.de/award/vilem-flusser-award

CTM.12 â Spectral
The thirteenth edition of CTM â Festival for Adventurous Music and
Related Arts takes place parallel to and in cooperation with
transmediale between 30th January and 5th February 2012, at various
venues in Berlin. CTM is dedicated to contemporary electronic, digital
and experimental music and sound art, as well as the diverse range of
artistic activities and social practices that develop within and connect
to those audio cultures. The festival reflects on the agency of
contemporary sound creation within the cultural fabric of society and
its technological and social transformations. It explores these
intersections with other art forms and cultural fields.

With the theme Spectral, CTM.12 dedicates itself to the musical and
medial visitations of rejected past aesthetics and their unredeemed
utopias or dystopias, the uncanniness of media's hallucinatory effects
as well as the quest for experiences of transcendence.
DIY-media-archaeology, the exploration of the deep material structures
of sounds, media and archives, the offensive recourse on past aesthetics
to the point of the archaic, a visible superimposition of different
temporalities, psychotropy, occult media, private mysticism, deception,
mundane alchemy or specific forms of negativity as an at times bitter,
at times euphoric rejection of the presence â these all provide points
of entry into current constructions of reality, to respectively adjure
or exorcise the inherent ghosts.

Projects and works can be submitted as proposals by 31st August for
CTM's music, performance, discourse, workshop or exhibition programme.
Detailed information can be found on the CTM-website from June 16 on:
http://www.clubtransmediale.de/ctm-festival.

transmediale is a project of the Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH,
in cooperation with the House of World Cultures and funded
by the German Federal Cultural Foundation.
Kristoffer Gansing // artistic director
in/compatible // transmediale.12, 31 jan-5 feb 2011 // transmediale.de

join the conversation on the transmediale IRC channel
// server: irc.freenode.net channel: #transmediale port: 6667

transmediale | festival for art and digital culture
klosterstr. 68 10179 berlin, germany | fon +49 30 24749 761 | fax +49 30 24749 763
kulturprojekte berlin gmbh
aufsichtsratsvorsitzender volker heller | GeschÃftsfÃhrer Moritz van DÃlmen
amtsgericht berlin charlottenburg, HRB 41312 B