announce@fabricatorz.com on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:26:38 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [Fabricatorz Announce] Fwd: Announcing The 1st Annual #FREEBASSELDAY on March 15.

.
This is a special announcement for our request for everyone everywhere asking you to please join us in supporting our dear friend, Bassel, for the 1 year anniversary of his illegal detainment in Syria. Join us for #FREEBASSELDAY.

Sincerely,
Jon Phillips
@rejon

Announcing The 1st AnnualÂ#FREEBASSELDAYÂon March 15.Â

###

We, the supporters of the #FREEBASSEL project are inviting every person, everywhere to make an event on March 15, 2013 with other people in your city in global solidarity to call for the immediate release of open web advocate Bassel Khartibil. This day is the one year anniversary of the illegal jailing of Bassel Khartibil, well known free internet pioneer, software engineer, teacher, husband, family-man and friend. Bassel is a normal guy, in a bad situation. He is now stuck in a Syrian jail cell where he is not able to directly contribute to his local and global communities. We demand his captors to #FREEBASSEL!

Bassel is ALIVE.

Join us to create an activity, event or even a party to celebrate the great work and ongoing life of Bassel. We challenge other leaders of the free internet and open web to create events to make #FREEBASSEL t-shirts, release #FREEBASSEL software, put up #FREEBASSEL posters in your city, to make food together or even to throw a party at a local bar with #FREEBASSEL images and songs playing. Have a cheers for #FREEBASSEL and tweet the picture of your group publicly in your local language.

By freeing Bassel, you help to free the Internet. Joining the global movement is simple. List your city below, use the #FREEBASSELDAY hashtag on Twitter, Instagram and other social networks, set a goal for what you will do on this day and spread the word! For those community leaders out there like Bassel, pick an activity, a location for people in your community to meetup and make known the time for the gathering to your community. Then, let&#039;s all have a global #FREEBASSELDAY.

The 2nd Anniversary of Syrian Uprising and #FREEBASSELDAY

If this event is successful we will #FREEBASSEL. Setup your event with an idea below, and have your community #FREEBASSEL:

â Update Bassel's Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassel_KhartabilÂ
â Translate Bassel's Wikipedia entry into your own language
â Make our event global: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_15
â Make #FREEBASSEL t-shirts from the FREEBASSEL Avatar: http://freebassel.org
â Print out #FREEBASSEL Posters, and put them up all over your city
â Take pictures of your meeting raising your cups to #FREEBASSEL
â Create #FREEBASSEL artwork
â Write a #FREEBASSEL song
â Make a video to #FREEBASSEL, post on the web
â Write a blog-post or news article about #FREEBASSELDAY
â Release software into the public domain dedicated to #FREEBASSELDAY
â Release audio, video, image and texts dedicated to #FREEBASSELDAY

About #FREEBASSEL

#FREEBASSEL is a campaign to bring about the safe and immediate release of Bassel Khartabil from wrongful detainment in Syria since March 2012. He is a well known contributor to global software and culture communities like Creative Commons, Mozilla Firefox, Wikipedia, Open Clip Art Library, Fabricatorz, and Sharism. He is missed by these communities, his family, friends and loved ones. The campaign says, "We will not stop campaigning for him until we see him as a free global citizen once again."

For more information

â Organizing Page: http://freebasselday.orgÂ
â Official Website: http://freebassel.orgÂ

Press Contact: info@freebassel.orgÂ

###

--
Jon Phillips â http://fabricatorz.com â skype: kidproto â irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) â +86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)