Marcia Marais on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:13:53 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> News from Iziko Museums of South Africa

.
Title: Accommodation - Holiday Promotions
Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser
The Iziko South African National Gallery
The Iziko South African National Gallery, clad in the vibrant colours of the Rendez-Vous 12 installation by Antony Ward, 'Like water for chocolate'.

Watch this space...

It is our pleasure to let you know that the first edition of Iziko Museums of South Africa's newsletter, i on Iziko, will be published shortly. With this newsletter, we would like to share news about our exciting exhibitions, collections and programmes, and of course, keep you up to date with any new additions to our collections. Ms Rooksana Omar, CEO of Iziko Museums ofÂ
South Africa introduces your museums.
The Iziko South African Museum, our flagship social and natural history museum at the top of the Company's Garden in central Cape Town.

Visit Iziko!

While most visitors to Cape Town inevitably encounter the Iziko South African Museum and Planetarium at the top of the Company's Garden;Âand art lovers are bound to stop by the Iziko South African National Gallery; and while historians may take a keen interest in the history of slavery as depicted at the Iziko Slave Lodge Museum, some of our lesser known sites should prove fascinating to those interested in getting a glimpse into Cape Town of old.

Visit the beautifully preserved IzikoÂKoopmans-de Wet House in Strand Street, or IzikoÂBertram House at the top of Government Avenue to get an idea of what life was like for well-to-do families and their slaves and servants living in this city in the late 18th century. The IzikoÂBo-Kaap Museum in Wale Street offers visitors the other side of the coin, with cultural artefacts relating to working class Muslim cultural life and Islam. The museum aims to tell stories about the rich history of the Bo-Kaap - from its origins in slavery, to how the area and its inhabitants have evolved in the 21st century.

Iziko Museums of South Africa is a national heritage institution that prides itself in educating and entertaining museum visitors through our extensive art, natural,Âand social historyÂcollections and exhibitions, and our education programmes.

Keep an eye out for this regular feature.

Join our community online

Share your own stories with us! Follow us on FacebookÂand Twitter and get all the news, events and exhibitions!ÂOr visit us on our website www.iziko.org.za to see what's happening at your museums.

Unsubscribe | Update profile | View PDF | Pause subscription
Email powered by
Everlytic
This email was sent to nettime-ann@nettime.orgÂonÂ2013-04-29ÂbyÂIziko Museums of South Africa
25 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town, the Western Cape,8000
Iziko Museums of South Africa is intended for opt in communication only. If you feel this email is unsolicited pleaseÂreport itÂto us.