Bärbel Hartje on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:51:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Course in curatorial practice directed by Bassam El Baroni at Salzburg International Summer Academy of Fine Arts

.
Dear list members,
there are still a few places available in Bassam El Baroni's course at Salzburg International Summer Academy of Fine Arts. If you like to participate, we are happy to receive your application.

Bassam El Baroni
Lyotard for the twenty-first century curator:  a singular account

This course is not about Jean-François Lyotard. It is a course about curating, envisioning exhibitions and other forms of curatorial projects. It is about critical thinking on art in relation to our time and in connection to the political, making connections between ideas in the past and present. This will be achieved by using some of Lyotard’s strongest concepts and by pointing out their continuing relevance at this particular moment in history, despite Lyotard’s waning popularity in today’s sphere of critical practice. Through Lyotard, we will attempt to answer a diverse range of questions such as: What justice can an exhibition bring to the world? And, what else can a curator be if not an intellectual? After we have gone through a number of preselected texts and various analyses of Lyotard’s work, we will choose one or more concept(s) from his pool of theoretical ideas and elaborate a complete curatorial proposal based on it. This could be an exhibition proposal or a proposal for a series of related events, etc. The participants can work together on a collaborative project, but they may also develop their own projects and discuss them in the group.

Duration: 22 July–3 August 2013
More info about the course: http://www.summeracademy.at/Courses-2013_230_kurs287.html
More info about application: http://www.summeracademy.at/APPLICATION_136.html

Kind regards
Baerbel Hartje

SALZBURG INTERNATIONAL SUMMER ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS
Franziskanergasse 5 a, P.O.Box 18, 5010 Salzburg, Austria
Tel. +43 (0)662 842113-14, Fax +43 (0)662 849638
www.summeracademy.at

Please subscribe to our Newsletter
http://www.summeracademy.at/newsletter