Megs Morley, Para Institution on Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:50:58 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> THINKING THROUGH INSTITUTIONS - International Symposium

.
Title: THINKING THROUGH INSTITUTIONS - International Symposium
Para Institution 2015 presents:
View this email in your browser

THINKING THROUGH INSTITUTIONS
Friday 27th Feb 10:00am- 5:00pm

The Huston School of Film & Digital Media, NUIG
In the context of what some call the crisis of the institution, the questions of how we organise ourselves, how we work together and how potentially we self-institute have never seemed so pertinent to ask, yet we seem to continually reach an idealogical impasse, do we withdraw from existing structures, or do we attempt to reclaim and reinvent them?  The institutions of culture and art seem to be some of the last remaining public spaces for such re-imaginings, but how does this extend beyond providing the cultural content for such discourse and into the very organisational structure and activity of the institution itself?  And with diminishing public resources with a drive to increase private sources of funding, for how long will these spaces remain public? Has socially engaged arts practice and critical curatorial work impacted how we consider the role and activities and agency of art institutions in society? Do the self-organised, DIY organisations of artists and movements such as Occupy and Open Source provide new models of horizontal and vertical organisations? What organisational forms have the potential to engage with and constitute new publics?

In a time of momentous changes, and where meaning and modes of production of culture are shifting dramatically, âTHINKING THROUGH INSTITUTIONS" offers a space to consider and discuss how we organise and institute ourselves and the potential role for arts institutions in the democratisation of power, debate, criticality and cultural change, with leading national and international guest speakers; Helen Carey, Nuno Sacramento, Fiona Woods, Lane Relyea,  Sarah Pierce, Sarah Rifky, Mick Wilson and more.

http://www.parainstitution.ie/category/events/

This event is free, but booking is essential.

Your Ticket includes a light lunch provided through the kind support of GMIT CCAM
Please book via:
http://www.eventbrite.ie/e/thinking-through-institutions-tickets-15537748825
or click the button below.
Booking here

The Para-Institution is a curatorial research residency and public programme conducted by curator and artist Megs Morley, exploring the potentials of an institution of co-operation, inter-linking key organisations and practitioners that share the common goal of demonstrating the role of contemporary art practices
in activating cultural change

Supported by the Arts Council Curator in Residence Award
In partnership with Galway City Council, GMIT Centre of Creative Arts and Media, The Huston School of Film & Digital Media, National University of Galway
and Galway Arts Centre

Facebook
Facebook
Website
Website
Copyright  2014 |The Para Institution
all rights reserved

www.parainstitution.ie
Our email address is:
parainstitution@gmail.com
Like and follow for upcoming events on
https://www.facebook.com/parainstitution

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences

This email was sent to nettime@kein.org
Para Institution · ballymoneen rd · knocknacarra · Galway, Galway · Ireland

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp