Dale Hudson on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:47:10 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Invisible Geographies exhibition for FLEFF’s 20th edition

.
The Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival (FLEFF) continues its twentieth edition with “Invisible Geographies,” an online exhibition of twenty projects that that range from indigenous media to online guides to interactive documentaries.

The exhibition investigates unmarked and unmapped relationships — or ones that may have been written but have subsequently been erased, obscured, or made illegible—to look beyond proximities and congruities to discover what can be learned from distances and incongruities. The projects map what we cannot see or perhaps may not want to see, such as toxins in the air or water—or traces of villages bearing witness that lands were not uninhabited or uncultivated.

Invisible geographies are places of suffering and possibility, of entrapment and flight. They invite us to reconsider our relationship with our environment and our coinhabitants. Artists imagine geographies of other possibilities, speculating not about futures of fascism but futures of emancipation. They reclaim spaces and histories of occupied lands, dispossessed communities, exploited resources, and razed cities whose archaeologies now lie beneath urban parks and rural forests in settler colonies.

The exhibition is curated by Dale Hudson (New York University Abu Dhabi) with assistant curator Claudia Peterson (Wichita State University).

Link: https://www.ithaca.edu/fleff/invisible_geographies/