Florian Cramer on Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:54:33 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> The heart in arthistory

Am Tue, 21.Mar.2000 um 10:35:54 +0200 schrieb graziella:

> For the exhibition "Hanover 2000" with the theme " The heart" I'm
> researching "The heart " in how it has been used in art history.  I would
> be very pleased if anybody could give me tips of artists who work/worked
> with this theme (also as netart) during all century's.  Titles of books,
> names, trends, etc. from the prehistory until now, would be very helpful.

You should check out the following book: The Rosicrucian Emblems of Daniel
Cramer, edited by Adam McLean, Phanes Press, 1991, ISBN 0-933999-88-7. It
contains nothing but emblematic depictions of hearts (with wings, on fire
etc.).

Perhaps it might also be of interest of you that Neoism
<http://www.neoism.org> and the Monty Cantsin multiple name were
substantially triggered by the fact that the coiner of Neoism, the Hungarian
Istvan Kantor/Monty Cantsin, was sucked into his performance art career and
into emigration to Canada when the American mail artist David Zack showed
him a color xerox of the bleeding heart of the Virgin Mary in Budapest
around 1978.

In the late 19th century, Erik Satie published a mock-religious paper "Le
Coeur" which contained, among other writings, a "First Epistle of Erik Satie
to Catholic Artists and the Entire Christianity".

Just some ideas.

Florian

--
Florian Cramer, PGP public key ID 6440BA05
<http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/index.cgi>