Peter Lunenfeld on Tue, 9 May 2000 20:15:37 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> MTAA interview etoy.CORPORATION

>MTAA: What are the precedents for etoy art practice?
>
>etoy: etoy doesn't espouse any theory, we leave this up to other people.
>Of course we are happy if precedents from art history can explain the
>things that we do. But we are don't connect directly to other artists.
>We're influenced, Warhol and Beuys are very important to us. But it's not
>our discourse. We refuse the intellectualization of our discourse, it has
>to stay strong and clean.

etoy's insistence that their work is entirely "new" and their disavowal of
connections is in fact just one of many ways in which they "connect
directly" to techno-art historical precedents. As for their dopey dichotomy
between intellectualism and "strong and clean" discourse, I leave the
precedents to your historical memory, but suggest setting your time machine
back 61 years.

Peter Lunenfeld