Lessard, George on Tue, 16 May 2000 03:36:13 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Nunavut Website "Inuktitut Pictionary" is one of the finalists inThe Stockholm Challenge Award 2000

Arviat's Inuktitut Pictionary
http://www.ssimicro.com/~arviat/pictionary/pictionary.html

The project is one of the finalists in The Stockholm Challenge Award 2000.
The winners in each category will be announced and celebrated on June 5th.
Arviat's Inuktitut Pictionary is cordially invited to go to Stockholm in
June to participate in the Prize Ceremony in the City Hall in the presence
of The Mayor of Stockholm, the media and a large number of distinguished
international guests.

Introduction

Wayne Irkok, Grade 9 Student Summer Employee, Arviat, Nunavut, Canada
During our trip to Dionne lake, we stayed in a camp for four weeks on the
land learning and making stories. We learned a lot about the land and our
traditional way of life. Our supervisor was Donald Sr. Uluadluak. Donald
taught us many things about hunting, trapping and boating. We went to a six
mile field trip by foot and collected terms and definitions from what we saw
and learned from the land.

On July 10, 1998 we went back to Arviat to put all the definitions and
stories into computers and scanned images that were drawn by Donald. We put
all the works into a web-site.

This Web site was made in the summer of 1998 by students at Qitiqliq High
School with help from volunteers, project staff and a local Web design
company.

The Stockholm Challenge Conference will relate to the global character of
the Award´s program and to the contents of the Exhibition. One scheduled
topic will be: In what ways will the growing use of information technology
challenge and change the structures and hierarchies of our working lives?

Project Manager; Mark Kalluak mkalluak@gov.nu.ca 867-857-3073

Steering Committee; Elisapee Karetak, Susan Pameok, Jason Prince, Shirley
Tagalik, David Ukutak Jr., Alexis Utatnaq

Pictionary Project Team

Project Coordinator; Donald Uluadluak

Summer Students; Wayne Irkok, Louis Irkok Jr., Jimmy Muckpah, Janet Suluk,
Cedric Manik, and Billy Sinnisiak

Original Artwork; Donald Uluadluak and Paul Taleriktok

Web Design by Inukpuk Technology; Daniel Burgess, Eric Anoee, Kristin
Andrews, Jonathon Gibbons, and Rufus Manik

Project Sponsors; Government of the Northwest Territories, Department of
Education, Culture & Employment through the following programs: Working
Together, and The Aboriginal Language Enhancement Program, Kivalliq Partners
in Development, Municipal & Community Affairs, Nunavut Teacher Education
Program

Local Partners; Arviat District Education Authority, Arviat Iyi Society,
Arviat Business Training Centre, Donald Suluk Library, Levi Angmak
Elementary School, Qitiqliq High School Computer Department.

Special Thanks
Elders who were interviewed:
John Arnalukjuak; Helen Konek; Henry Isluanik; Job Mukjunik; Martina Anoee

...and to SSI Micro for
hosting this site on their server

Contact us
For other questions or comments contact:

Shirley Tagalik
Department of Education
Early Childhood & School Services
Arviat
867-857-3054
stagalik@gov.nu.ca

Eric Anoee Jr.
Department of Education
Early Childhood & School Services
867-857-3067
EAnoeeJR@gov.nu.ca

Inukpuk Technology
is available for Web design or training in Nunavut.
Daniel Burgess
867-857-2742

Arviat's Inuktitut Pictionary
Your project is one of the finalists in The Stockholm Challenge Award 2000.
The winners in each category will be announced and celebrated on June 5th.
You are cordially invited to come to Stockholm in June to participate in the
Prize Ceremony in the City Hall in the presence of The Mayor of Stockholm,
the media and a large number of distinguished international guests.

Two representatives from every finalist project is hereby invited to
participate in the Challenge dinner that will follow the ceremony.

You are also invited to participate in the Challenge campus, exhibition and
conference during 1-5 of June. Being a finalist in the Challenge you will be
exposed to considerable national and international interest. Many have
already expressed a wish to see and talk to the people, who have reached
high standards in information technology based projects throughout the
world.

As an exhibitor you will receive free space and computer equipment as well
as internet access. Attending the exhibition and conference is free of
charge for the project owners as well as visitors, but the attendees must
pay for the travelling expenses and hotel fees themselves.

Other information about the exhibition, conference and campus will be
available on our web site www.challenge.stockholm.se. To attend the final
events, please complete the attached forms before May 15, 2000!

The exhibition and other Challenge activities are being held in conjunction
with TIME.STOCKHOLM event during the same week in June. For more
information, please visit www.time.stockholm.se.

We are very much looking forward to seeing you in Stockholm in June!

Best regards,

Monica Bernestrvm
Project Manager
The Stockholm Challenge Award
Email: Info@challenge.stockholm.se
Phone: +46 8 508 28 000
Fax: +46 8 651 76 33

Stockholm Challenge Conference and Exhibition
The Stockholm Challenge Exhibition showcases a selection of some of