Phil Graham on Fri, 16 Jun 2000 05:24:23 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Fwd: Letter to Thomas Klestil

Fine Fine Fine ... Tell me what sort of politician Haider is, will you? Or
at least what the freedom party says it stands for. It must have at least
one policy worth commenting on, or at least something that gives an
indication of what sort of party it is, what sort of values it expresses as
a group. Nobody seems to be prepared to do this, on either side of the debate.

Every time I pass on a critical message from Austria about Haider, you get
annoyed. That's fine. I have no fixed opinion about Haider, and at this
stage, no direct stake in the argument, political, intellectual, or
otherwise (indirectly is a different matter). It reminds me of the "One
Nation" party press beat up here in Australia to some extent.

But I want to know why you are so sure that Haider is benign,
non-totalitarian, and non-racist. You have said all these things at
different stages. I am quite prepared to believe you. You have told me
everything Haider and FPO is not. Why can't you tell me what he is or what
he stands for. If he is not totalitarian, does he hold or express liberal
or individualist values, conservative ones, green ones, red ones? What?!
Does he represent particular sections of the community that are
identifiable, or is the freedom party constituency drawn from across the
board? Are they nationalistic, or what? Can you give me any indication
whatsoever, or just keep telling me that "he's not such a bad fellow after
all"?

They're not such a hard questions, surely.

Phil

At 02:41 AM 16/06/00 +0200, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
> > I have no idea what the judges in Austria are like. I was passing on a
> > message I received. That's why I don't give a shit. However, from what
> I've
>
>Well, my point was that in austria they have a very unique political
>culture, going to the courts, that just isnt an invention of Haider.
>As the text tried to suggest. Just a fact. Ask somebody from austria about
>that.
>
> > read of the Pelinka case compared to Haider's comments on the public
> record
> > in the past, I don't see how Pelinka could be fairly convicted. Haider
>
>I think, as I remember from the radio, he said something more.
>
>Lets see, how the next courts decide.
>
>And Pelinka isnt the poor victim as which he is described, sued by the rich
>Haider..
>
>Quiet days in cliche..
>
>Heiko

Opinions expressed in this email are my own unless otherwise stated.
Phil Graham
Lecturer (Communication)
Graduate School of Management
University of Queensland