integer on 28 Jul 2000 06:56:43 -0000

[Nettime-bold] (no subject)

>Yeah ... the severity of that clause is fairly typical now. Contracts have
>been moving in this direction for a long while, really quickly for about
>the last 10 years. That sort of thing was not considered legally binding
>from about the 70s until the late 80s after many people who got suckered
>through the sixties with similar contracts sued successfully.
>
>That's what annoys me about all this "free" shit. The fact is that
>distributors, producers, broadcasters, etc are now far more easily able to
>extort work from artists, far more cheaply than ever, and for *forever* -
>that's the ultimate in alienation: "the products of your imaginings are now
>mine forever, just sign here".
>
>A far worse aspect is how it's done. A lot of work in music is done on
>speculation (at least in Australia, I understand that US industry is
>actually more insistent on this aspect, although it's hard to imagine how).
>That is, a producer (or whoever) will say: "I have this
>movie/documentary/advertisement, why don't you try your hand at scoring
>it". Ten years ago, there was a 50-50 chance at getting fees for such an
>exercise. The odds are much lower now.
>
>By the time an artist or artists finishes a track, which, contrary to
>popular belief, takes a hell of a long time (roughly 5 days per 30 seconds
>for decent quality music), they are already heavily invested in many ways.
>Then comes the contract saying "no further claim until the end of time ...
>sign here". There's not much choice at that point.
>
>I remain fairly unimpressed with all the whingeing by people about Napster
>being closed down, but perhaps the net does hold out some hope for artists
>(though I doubt that that will prove to be the case in the long run). The
>question should probably be, not whether intellectual property rights
>should exist or not, but who should be able to claim them. For me it comes
>back to the insane right at law that corporations have to be treated as
>persons, like you or I, whilst managing to evade any personal
>responsibility whatsoever. Whereas I might die and my copyright become
>public domain after 50 years or whatever it is now, corporations do not, it
>seems, die all that easily or quickly. It is all too clear that face no
>responsibility for past actions (cf IG Farben, Deutsche Bank, etc etc etc).
>But that's corporatism for you, I suppose. I will never forget the look on
>an EMI exec's face after he had just bought the rights to "happy birthday"
>from an old scottish lady.
>
>There is not a single space - social, electronic, abstract, or geographical
>- that we have ever had which has not been enclosed and (eventually) filled
>with the organs of capital. I do not see the internet being any different
>in the long term.

dom!naz!on = propagatd b! dze dom!natd

Netochka Nezvanova
OPET - OPEn Employee Trade
smtp55o@m9ndfukc.com
17.hzV.tRL.478

                                                     |  +----------
                                                    |  |     <
                                   \\----------------+  |  n2t
                                                       |       >

>regards,
>Phil
>
>At 05:43 PM 27/07/00 -0700, Lev Manovich wrote:
>>Do you think that after the Net, memes, open source and other similar
>>phenomenons/concepts/movements, the issues of copyright and intelectual
>>property belong to the twentieth century?
>>
>>Not quite yet.
>>
>>The following comes from the contract recently offered to me by a Holywod
>>company:

but dear. [pol!tel!] du = 01 zerf deja - hensz = 0+0 zurpr!za.

cezt comme ca :
http://eusocial.com/nato.0+55+3d/242.055.propaganda.html

comme ca
http://www.membank.org/0002/0002.html