David Teh on 29 Jul 2000 02:19:27 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> from IP to anti-corporate protest

i couldn't agree more, phil.

it all stems from the bizarre inequities that arise from the corporation's
X-Men status at law.
so a company that owns the rights to something administers those without the
same 'feeling' or 'attachment' to the IP; which includes commercial licencing
or onselling when, as assets, they are no longer making an adequate 'return'. i
share this dystopic vision in which the producer's creation is cut free and
swallowed up by capital.

but while it's a failing of our legal structures (the Corporations Law) that
this system caters for the protection of the integrity of IP products so
poorly, is it not also a great failure on the part of those resisting this
inexorable march of capital to miss the point that corporations cannot be held
to the same standards as other legal persons? i find recent currents in liberal
activism, those that focus on corporations as the perpetrators of the world's
ills, more than a little wasteful.

[what about a company incorporated for the specific purpose of responsible IP
management. producers have equity and directive control over how individual IP
units get used, but the group creates a bulk economy for the day to day
management costs, marketing/promos etc.???]

a misunderstanding of the corporate veil has not only let our knowledge
property and artistic creations out of our grasp in officio-legal terms -  it
has also misled the forces of resistance into a critical dead-end. the laziest
choice for protest is the biggest target.  short of "the system" the biggest
target is the corporate infrastructure that determines the performance of
governance on every level in Western 'democracies'.  but the big target is not
listening.

go to their doorstep and scream 'Down with the evil BHP!' and BHP winces.  for
a day or so. probably doesn't affect their share price at all. other
corporations are rubbing their hands together so your democratic expression
ends up greasing the cogs of competition. go downtown and scream 'Down with
evil corporations!'
and nobody gives a shit.  nobody at all.  has it not been proven already that
anti-corporate activism achieves next to nothing unless it's company specific,
vindictive, and militant...?

i know i got a bit off the topic, but this has been bugging me for a while.
anyway, i must say i agree entirely that the 'progress' of the modern global
economic system ends when every sphere of human endeavour and all intangible,
abstract characteristics ("creative" or otherwise) are brought squarely into
the reign of capital. the third phase of capital's expansion is here, and we
have called it (tellingly) the World Wide Web.

dave