lockard on 20 Aug 2000 00:02:26 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Bad Subjects #53: Alienated Labor CFP

Bad Subjects #53
			Alienated Labor

For Marx, capitalism represented "the domination of thing over man, of
dead labor over living labor, of the product over the producer." It's a
formulation worth recalling in this era of globalization, when mainstream
pundits paint the free market as a fountain of youth. And it's one that
the activists who participated in the "Battle in Seattle" and subsequent
protests against the WTO, World Bank, and other institutions have taken to
heart, whatever their position on Marxism.

Bad Subjects' 53rd issue, "Alienated Labor," takes Marx's formulation as
the starting point for an exploration of the nature and manifestations of
working people's alienation under capitalism.  How do we confront and
contend with work that we realize is for the benefit of the "prosperous
few?"  How do we organize workplaces to reclaim the fruits of labor for
ourselves?  How do we combat the alienation of life energies at work, at
home, and on the streets?

This issue invites essays on the politics of labor; labor organizing
drives and activism; malcontent workers; non-compliance, disobedience,
sabotage, work actions and strikes; identity politics and labor; "illegal"
labor (like that of undocumented workers or prostitutes); migrant labor;
unemployment; working at home and telecommuting;  9-to-5 dead-end jobs;
mental health and work; occupational health; bad bosses and tyranny in the
workplace; the "disappearance of labor" in consumer economies; laboring
for a survival wage; the anomie that comes with meaningless work; and
other related topics.  Essays combining practical and theoretical writing
will be especially appreciated.

Submissions should be 3,000 words or less. Please contact issue co-editors
Charlie Bertsch at cbertsch@u.arizona.edu and Joe Lockard at
lockard@socrates.berkeley.edu ASAP if you are interested in contributing.
The deadline for finished articles will be November 28, 2000.