Jonathan on 25 Sep 2000 07:57:43 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Water-shedding

> Perhaps because you don't need anything else to read a
book, except a
> knowledge of the language it is written in. A cdrom
needs a cdrom
> drive, computer and software, all of which must be
compatible with the
> cdrom. It also needs electricity and the technology
that produces it.
> In short its usefulness requires an *entire*
infrastructure which is
> itself changing rapidly. I'll go with the book.
>
> Roberto Verzola

Nice point, a CDROM is a product of the systems,
organisation and technology of idustrialised society,
and as such, work produced on CDROM can never be
considered craft.

Books, on the other hand, can go either way, and so even
books produced by industrialised means (as most are)
retain some of the cultural and aesthetic attachments we
have for craft, and the idea of a unique work.

Finally, books age in a visible, tactile and olifactory
way.  An important part of the attachment and intimacy
we develop with artifacts is that they embody some
notion of having a soul.  Age and wear give character
and soul to what are otherwise tools.