Anonymous on Sat Apr 21 00:06:52 2001

No Subject

Bosma's definition, to my way of thinking, presents a kind of flow-dynamic
definition of network art.  If the art uses computer media or reacts to the
external use of such media it qualifies as net art (not necessarily good or
bad).  Quality is a subsequent question involving craft, conoisseurship, and
historical concerns.  This definition is best understood as a process of
modeling the interaction between concept and technology, an ongoing dynamic
that characterizes all really good art whether the technology in question is
tempera, fresco, or T1 bandwidth; the model holds whether the concept at
stake is monotheism, individual creativity, or commodification.

The best art of any historical period remains free of stagnation in both
concept and technology, and strives to map or un-map the processes of their
interaction.  One of the primary concerns of contemporary network art is the
conflict between art and media:  If Lucent gives artists tours and funding,
is the dynamic of art stunted by corporate profit margins?  Can net art be
exhibited, and if so, do we show the cables in the space or go the white box
route?  Corporations would love to figure out the best art-sites and buy the
active viewer minutes, but many artists actively choose to disrupt any false
overcoming of the process that is art's technological present.

In fact, we may now be living through the very early stages of digital
culture's pressure on the technology of concept.  All net art exists
therefore in this compressed context, and seeks mightily to identify
locations of indeterminacy and flux.

++++++++++

Literary Narrative as Net Art

My education, such as it is, could be called heavy on narrative.  I was
particularly impressed by Walter Benjamin's observation of calendrical time,
homogeneous and empty, which the printing press made possible and nationalism
made expedient.  The guy also riffs like a crazed demon on the Messianic
moment.  Barthes once wrote that "without narrative there is nothing," a
little shaky but still worth considering.  Homer liked to name off all the
ships and their contents.

Narrative is still going strong in contemporary net art.  Airworld is all
about narrative.  Their hopper chews up phrases and words from the world of
e-selling and creates mantric koans like "metabolism crash" and my favorite,
"transfer in focus."  What about the narrative of code?  Programming doesn't
happen in homgeneous, empty time, not by a long shot.  Code-narrative is by
any measure a Jetztzeit.  The artifact is stored in long-term memory,
material on disk for re-manipulation by the OS and the application.  Even the
traditional narrative of the novel form has a role to play here, as with Mark
Amerika's Phon:e:me.  Sometimes we map narrative with character and plot--the
John Henry of the fictive arts--and fixedly absorb the internal process of an
author.  Amerika's Grammatron is a parable of sorts on the novelist's mind
(perhaps an archaism) in the era of network technology.  Again, we observe
concept and technology creating and destroying each other, seen through the
windows of narrative (my apologies to Magritte).

Whether the Genius 2000 Video First Edition has any narrative content worthy
of note as we prepare to end the century is in part a question of
conoisseurship and in part a prognosis of future events.  Certainly the tape
is about narrative, if only in the four section-names.  Yet it seems
difficult to argue that a work that maps even in episodic or archival form
the chaotic permutations of the OS of calendrical time--the year 2000--lacks
a cohesive narrative algorithm.  Narratives don't have to be good reads; they
don't have to have characters or protagonists (but they can, many and
different kinds); they certainly don't need hardcovers or aphorisms on how to
live or while away a winter evening.  Perhaps the most important factor in
judging the quality or relevance of network-based narrative is its
exploration or framing of Bosma's dynamic between concept and technology.
(After all, the novel was at its inception a cutting-edge interface, using
subscriptions and print to engage an entirely new kind of textual
audience--the eighteenth-century bourgeoisie.)

++++++++++

Data Mingling and the Democratic Imperative

One of the greatest hazards facing the productivity of any narrative is the
tendency towards the monolithic.  Post-structuralism enabled a great many
techniques of deconstruction and genealogy, but in its analytic narrativity
fell into a static model of data exchange.  The logic of master narrative is
fractured, and can be easily hacked, but dismantling alone does not comprise
all possible permutations.  In fact, Post-structuralism's inability to
theorize many chaos-based theories of text has led to its current ebb in both
the academy and the arts.  Lisa Jevbratt's theory of data-mingling offers an
exciting alternative to the problematic space in which the viewer
contemplates the signifier in isolation.  It is the vast and chaotic set of
patterns that animate the exchange between user and data resource, in a
cyclical and fractal process, that form the subject of much of Jevbratt's
work.  Autopoesis, another C5 concept, can be seen as an umbrella concept for
the many discrete functions of data-mingling and the content it generates.

If the question here is whether the First Edition is in fact net art, its
character as a site of data-mingling may be a good place to start.  The
interaction of concept and technology is one of mingling; the content of
narrative is formed under these conditions.  One could say that my video is
net art only if it participates in an active autopoetic system; which is to
say, its status is a matter of selection.  Unused data is dead data, which is
why there are three corporations waging war over who will act as the Nielsen
of the net.  If a concept can justify a technology and render it active, in
an artistic sense, then RealVideo archiving of Genius 2000 can most certainly
qualify as a form of net art.

In any case, every choice of content for use in a data-mingling system is in
large part a matter of consensus, an allocation of collective resources.  If
users wish to encounter the First Edition in RealVideo, and its use occurs
within the range of net-culture dynamics I've discussed, then most clearly
the video is net art.  Decisions of this nature cannot be made using
objective logic alone, i.e. with an analysis of past evidence and current
situations, because the behavior of every autopoetic system contains elements
of uncertainty regarding future outcomes.  Concepts and technology flow in
both directions.

Max Herman
The Genius 2000 Project
www.geocities.com/~genius-2000