janet owen on 20 Oct 2000 01:22:50 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Art In Motion festival

Dear Nettime:
My name is Janet Owen and I am Festival Director for Art In Motion II, the
second annual international festival of time-based media presented by the
University of Southern California School of Fine Arts.

We are currently sending out our worldwide call for entries and I  hope that
you will consider sharing the information via nettime.

I have pasted details about the event and the entrycall below and would be
happy to pass on any more that you require.

Thank you for your consideration.
Best regards
Janet Owen

ART IN MOTION II
CALL FOR ENTRIES
DEADLINE: JANUARY 1, 2001
SUBMISSION IS FREE AND OPEN TO ALL

THE FESTIVAL: The Second Annual International Festival of Time-Based Media
Presented by the University of Southern California School of Fine Arts, in
collaboration with the Santa Monica Museum of Art. The festival will take
place Thursday–Saturday, February 15, 16, 17, 2001on both the USC Campus,
Los Angeles and at the SMMoA, Santa Monica.

Unlike most film festivals, galleries and media venues which are organized
around a specific media or genre, Art In Motion is organized around a
central theme, and the only criteria for submission is that works be
'time-based'.

FESTIVAL THEME: "The Vanishing Author?"
Throughout the 20th century the concept of "The Author" as an individual
"artist-genius" with a unique vision was continually challenged. Now, in the
21st century, new technologies have multiplied access to authorship and
re-invigorated "The Author" concept.  At the same time they have ushered in
an age of infinite reproducibility where there is no "final cut" and no
definitive, authoritative voice. In effect the role of the "author" is being
perpetually destroyed and recreated. The consequent fluidity is forcing a
rupture and reassessment of our perceptions of "authority", "self",
"meaning", "value" and "originality" that is radically impacting cultural,
social, political, economic, and legal interactions.

Entries may address the festival theme directly or indirectly. If, for
example, you are an "Author", or your work is made collaboratively, employs
sampling and appropriation and/or is available for others to sample, then it
is addressing the theme. Send it to us!

SUBMISSION CRITERIA: Works in time-based media completed after October
1,1998. Time-based projects include those created in film, video, digital
video, animation, sound pieces, digital media, CD-ROMs, websites,
installations and performances – all hybrids are welcome.

SUBMISSION IS FREE AND OPEN TO ALL

ENTRY DETAILS & ENTRY FORMS: All entry details and printable entry forms can
be found on the AIM II website at www.usc.edu/aim or requested from
aim@usc.edu

SCREENING PROCEDURE, JURY AND AWARDS: All entries will be viewed by the Aim
II Pre-Screening Committee: Carole Ann Klonarides: curator, media artist;
Tara McPherson: author, media critic; Janet Owen: Festival Director; Allan
deSouza: artist, writer, critic; and Tomo Isoyama: artist. Media artist
Christiane Robbins is the AIM II Festival Advisor. The jury will view all
selected works and award, among others TBA, the $1000 Intelefilm Award For
Creative Excellence. The AIM II Jurors are:

<>Tom Leeser: Visual Effects Supervisor/Art Director with Academy
Award-winning production studio Rhythm & Hues and an internationally
recognized film, video and installation artist.

<>Janice Tanaka: Janice's richly textured video collages are exhibited
internationally at venues that include the Whitney Biennials,1991 & 1993;
Bonn Videonale International, Germany; and the World Wide Video Festival,
the Hague.

<>Tran, T. Kim Trang: an internationally-acclaimed video artist and
independent curator of digital media Tran has exhibited most recently at the
2000 Whitney Biennial; the 46th Robert Flaherty Film Seminar and at the
MOMA, NY.

CONTACT AIM AT:
http://www.usc.edu/aim

aim@usc.edu