Benjamin Geer on 29 Oct 2000 20:55:49 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Nader is important: get rid of him!

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 12:47:08PM -0600, joy garnett wrote:
> After Bush gets elected and sets about the devastation of the
> environment in Alaska, the right of women to choose, and a host of
> other things we all hold to be dear, (not to mention a host of
> policy we don't even understand or think about).

What makes you think Gore won't do equally horrible things?  Do you
see any difference between the administrations of Clinton and Reagan?
Abortion, by the way, is the only thing that American political
candidates are allowed to disagree about, because it's an issue that
the corporate world couldn't care less about.  Most of the serious
issues (widespread poverty, casualisation, lack of health care, poor
education) are taboo in political campaigns.

> Nader's appeal to progressive-minded, well-educated, disenfranchized
> liberals is manipulative and misleading; it will make a difference,
> one very big difference, if Bush gets in.

Actually, I think that a Bush presidency would be one of the best
things that could happen to Nader.  A Bush administration would no
doubt strengthen dissent in the U.S., increasing the appeal of the
Green party.

> the dream of Nader is exciting, it's radical, but it's a dream.

If that's true, then democracy in the U.S. is completely doomed, in
which case it doesn't matter who you vote for.  If the word
`democracy' refers to any reality in the U.S., then it must be
possible for Nader to be elected, since he represents the interests of
many more people than Bush, Gore, and everyone in Congress put
together.

> people are afraid of Gore because he is intelligent, and an
> aristocrat (god-forbid) and therefore not one of them.  He
> represents a classic ego-threat to the American Puritanical
> Everyman...

Whether or not that's true, it's irrelevant.  Gore is simply the
latest puppet of multinational corporations.  He and Bush have a hard
time finding anything to disagree about.  Candidates like Gore exist
in order to make it look as if the choice between the two major
parties is a real choice.  Once in office, both candidates would be
indistinguishable.

Have a look at http://www.billionairesforbushorgore.com.

--
Benjamin Geer