sebastian on 1 Nov 2000 01:42:07 -0000

[Nettime-bold] |||||||| rolux |||||||| Introduction to a true history of the Internet

Sebastian Luetgert

Introduction to a true history of the Internet

(1) One cannot make much, if one is not two. Sometimes, if one quite alone is,
one must be able oneself to double, its native country betray or a second
nationality assume, i.e. doubles, really to be to be able. Lenin had all its
ideas, when he was not in Russia. Afterwards it had terribly much to do, erred
half of its time it, and then it died. But its large creative period was the
time in the exile in Switzerland, when in Russia hunger NOT prevailed and it
made bicycle routes in the mountains above Zurich. There it thought best - when
it was simultaneous at two places. The interesting at the Internet or at the
Websitesmachen or such a thing is situated in the fact that one can divide the
possibility with others of being simultaneous at two places. But it should be
also a communication place, and it is also one, but rather all communication is
prevented there.

(2) It makes a Website is, as it is made, from such Monotonie that one masks it
with all kinds of Maetzchen, with many people on a heap, which bores itself,
which does not know, how they are to dead-strike the time. And fortunately does
not have possibly who an ingenious idea, which one calls ingeniously, because
one would call her bloed, would say themselves the people to trust: I make which
Bloedes. Therefore one says: No, I make an ingenious Website. And three months
long one meets, must talk one together, and afterwards one cracks oneself. But
takes only three months. Afterwards one looks oneself up which other one. It is
really a totally false life, which will maintain by fear and lack of conception
at people, which have much conception, but for any reason it to create to see
them them do not have the need to see fewer of it on the display and they find
that mad. Still the last Website is fewer fantasyful than the run of the day of
possibly someone, and this someone finds the Website, on which he was and pulled
for which one him more than two dollar telephone charges from the bag, as much
more madly than its own life. Those are all rather strange phenomena, but does
not care me, only: thus to live is quite miserable.

(3) As one can talk thus about it and to it react? the society, the obligations
does not go is too strong on this level. And even between people, which liked
themselves at first... We were in love into one another, XXXXX and I, with all
our errors, then however... Actually is everything that I can say to the fact
that Internet apart-brought us totally. It has, believes I, always regretted
that it did not operate in the silicone Valley, and I believe, it would have
been luckier there, only it would have had to be born evenly ten years in former
times and with the chance to land a daily in San Francisco. But only times it
concerned to make in other way Internet to be able and survive to live on it,
well, to live normally on it i.e., to make quite normally Internet to earn so
much that it would have gone Websites to make, which one wants to make for a
two-room dwelling, a bathroom and holidays and and evenly no Werbesites or
Pornosites or political Sites or whatever. To be forced and to go to America
like three quarters of the Europeans. We created that also approximately, but
with such an energy expenditure, and it made us also so lonely that one says
oneself: that cannot be normal nevertheless. There one has the means to make
Websites... And then one notices that the people do not want at all to change,
and I do not believe, the world also.

(4) Even because one inside the Internet more easily which change can, even in
the Internet industry, much more easily than in the literature, in the arts -
which one calls so the arts -, because it gives fewer, it fewer Websites made
than books are printed. It is simpler to change a programming because it gives
fewer programs and fewer programmers. The number of those, which make in Germany
Websites, is many smaller than the number of those, which write. It would have
to be simpler to change the relation between computers and desk than between a
press or an assembly-line, a work bench, a machine tool with Audi or with Fords.
But changes exactly there to few. Even an auto is today no longer exactly the
same produced like in former times times. A computer..., if one looks at oneself
a PC, that is today still exactly the same as in the seventies, which does not
have itself at all changed.

(5) One can a programmer, who finds the fact that he is badly paid or a worker
promises: Well, I will more give you - I made that, was naively, as I -, I pay
you more, but write also a little writing the text. Whereupon it says: Those
will be suited to nothing, I cannot not write. I legend to it: That is already
clear me, but even because they will be bad, to become them with help, improve
to find. Thus permit me that I pay you for the fact that you abmuehst yourself,
to write perfectly bloede texts. Me that would give something to the hand, in
order improves to find. That would make much easier all, if I could proceed from
something Bloedem, in order to find somewhat fewer Bloedes - which you believed,
also only the text processing would never call. It, which will never call
programmers, the text processing, even if one said to him: Write which over you.
Over itself even still fewer. Do not speak already, of it remains anywhere an
impression. Yes, which concerns a talking, which talk people, which make
Internet, which one can probably say. More still than in the normal life. In the
normal life the work does not leave the time in addition. Pupils may not talk in
instruction, workers may in the factory not talk, secretaries not at all. But
with the Internet one is privileged, designer, Konzepter talks continuously, it
does not stop.

(6) The amateurs, those make Yahoo rich, them make many web pages, but they make
only a page at one time, them make a page during holidays, one at Christmas,
perhaps one, if a child comes, but never make them the page, which could be
linked with first. If they a web page make - from which need do they do that?
With them that is possibly natural quite, but I find, for an Internet
professional am not that not natural. For me the enemy is the Internet
professional, who programs in the reason still fewer than the amateur. I can ask
the amateur at least whether he saw a Website of me, which interested him, and
afterwards can I him ask: After you made this page, why do not have you then one
thereafter made? In this way I have at least an absolutely real maintenance
about Internet. And it becomes over the fact clear will that indeed a next means
to make to have that one wants to begin to manufacture left. And it does not
need, requires one not of it. Everyone does not have to make Websites. But
those, which which make, of which one can require it. Professionally? It depends
on in which sense whether one means it positive or negative. if I argue with
professional ones, I mostly accuse to them that they are not professional ones,
because they maintain it from itself. But opposite other professional ones,
which accuse that I would not be professional, opposite those lodge a complaint
I the status of an amateur to me. To them legend I: However, you are no Internet
amateurs, you are still worse professionals than with the football. Yes,
certainly, they are a caste, a Mafia, and the people have fear of them. One sees
with the Streaming, which could be surely still many simpler, how quickly it
specializes, it remains, like it is, one does not clarify not, what one could
make thereby, and one makes nothing from it.

(7) To think but of a target group with most that is the large fraud. They say:
One must respect the target group, one must of the target group think, one must
remember that the Website does not bore the target group. Above all must one to
remember that, if a Website bores the target group she does not look at her and
that, which talks in such a way, if he puts cash into the Website it will anyhow
lose. It would be more correct, it would say: I must try to attract the maximal
quantity people in order to earn the maximal quantity cash. That is complete
correct, only he should say it. Do not say and: One may not bore the target
group. " one may " is called there nothing at all. My first reaction was long
time that I proceeded from the insight, which I had even in each case and said:
Continuously about the target group is talked, I does not know her not, I see
her not, I white not who that is. Begun to think of the target group I have
because of the large failures, because of the enormous failures for example with
SansSoleil.com, which in fifteen days only eighteen people looked at themselves.
Eighteen - I did not count myself, so far can I finally count. There I said
myself then: Who to the devil are this eighteen, which I would like to know
gladly. Those I would gladly have seen these eighteen persons, who came to look
at itself, I would have seen gladly its picture. That was that first times that
I had really thought of the target group. There I could think of the target
group. I do not believe that Amazon can think of the target group. How can one
of twelve million visitor think? Their CEO can of twelve million dollar think,
but is simply impossible of twelve million visitor to think, that.

(8) Rolux cannot give a conception of the Internet, it can, anyhow I tried, a
conception of people in the Internet to give, and I find fewer dishonestly than
even for example the Website of Etoy, which tries to say to the people: Thus it
runs in the Internet. And the people understand nothing about all that, but they
are content, in their conception to have been encouraged that one can understand
about it anyway nothing and that it runs evenly in such a way. While, how the
Toywar Website really developed, ran not at all in such a way. But it is evenly
no coincidence that Toywar received the Webby Award then sometime for the best
foreign Website, it is evenly a typical American Website. " Toywar " is a
technical term, for a trick. It is a technical process. But I think, one this
Website also distinguished, because she covers so well, even because it do in
such a way, as if uncover her something, which Internet can be, somewhat magic,
which goes to one completely over the horizon and tightens a quantity of
pleasant and unpleasant people at the same time.

(9) The Finanziers or the mediators, the Provider is more realistically than
three quarters of all network artists, because they think of the target group in
shape from of dollars, them thinks of three million people to two dollar per
hour, them makes a small multiplication, and then they say themselves... That is
to be thought their type. That is at least real, and they try. But if one does
not remember? What is in me, which could four million visitor interest? I used
long time, until I could say myself in such a way, and I think that perhaps what
I can say interests in Berlin one hundred to two one hundred people. But how?
Internet is not particularly well organized for it. In order to achieve it by
Mail, I would have to write too many Mails. The Website, which I make in the
Internet, does not achieve it also. In order to achieve it, I would have to make
it differently, I would have to make so a Website, how I would not like to make
her. Thus legend I me: One must think at the same time smaller, somewhat longer
and differently. And then it comes up me that I really alone am. And thus we
encounter the actual problem. What causes that what I make could interest
someone else?

(10) And if I see the Website of Etoy, find I mean more honest if you do not
want like that, because I remained absolutely outside, that are... I white... At
that time I did not think in such a way, but if I had to make it today, it would
be first. Which is not honest on the Etoy Website, is that it do not show, how
they engage the people. Like it lawyers and managers engage and how... Etoy show
up only times evenly before a small helicopter, which they no more do not have,
and write then the word " Internet " over it. Which is, in order to show, what
they think from the Internet, from an unbelievable Bloedheit. As I see it, that
is Internet primarily a financial matter. One has cash, it gives it to another,
and then this different one does, as if he is an artist, but in reality... And
over Rolux: I white exactly, I do not see people in the Internet operating, and
then I, like that, see its relations to each other broken-made it am obviously
no place... But after Toywar - as one could describe there, what that is: a
Website make? One would say... I do not know, what one would say. One would be
incapably too... And evenly in it the strength of the Internet, it is
appropriate encourages the people in its conception, it would be which
mysterious and which confidence, because one outputs at the same time finally
each month fifty or sixty dollar telephone charges on it. Internet and
television would have to be like province newspapers. There are so small
newspapers. The artists here... You make a newspaper for you. Small newspapers
made for the university, and one does not say oneself: This newspaper must be
sold in the whole world. For inside, that is sufficient. I think, with Websites
am it exactly the same. It can give few, which perhaps are for all, but badly is
it, to proceed from all. I believe, which has quite bad consequences, over which
the people are not in the clear.

(11) There is a thing, which always employed me: as one of a web page on the
other hand arrives. That means in the reason: why one a page with the other one
links. The amateur programmers do not make it, them need it not. But the
profesionellen programmers, the left not only a web page with the other one, but
eight hundred together. They can rely on it - in such a way it runs today - that
the eight hundred pages are all the same, it is multiplied a page by eight
hundred. Man takes different designers, over to show..., but one modifies the
names of the on the left of only, because, if one left the names, the people
would not come any longer. They are totally finished from their work in the
university or in the office, see them not that it is the same Website.

(12) Internet is a power, and the people use still gladly Websites. What do they
look at themselves in the Internet gladly? Rolux, on my account also Toywar or
such a thing, if that still pleases the people in the Internet, so because the
type, as it is made, is closer, because in it a tremendous strength is situated
and because that will not also change. Perhaps the technical standards change,
but the crucial remains. It is the only place, where it is possible to change
things which are not suited in such a way. Everywhere otherwise for it too many
people are necessary, one need too many things, in order to enable it. So one
has the selection to wait and accomplish its own small stuff, if one creates it.
But but one needs a large passivitaet despite everything. One can operate times
with twelve persons and then with two, and then one, on the basis of two or
three tries whether it still another few different one does not give, which
would have desire. Perhaps one must also not absolutely together-do with
Internet people. One must itself elsewhere allied to look up, in order to make
despite all something. Silicone Valley? Yes, that is a cultural phenomenon,
which is as much stronger than everything else, and which cannot be neglectable.
It cannot simply, the proof for it is that it continues better ever. It
continues better than ever since 1990.

(13) We know only few people. The few, which we know, with which are we fast
zerstritten. I do not create it easy to find someone. The only one, which I had
found - and there it was still it, who came to me -, was XXXXX. he to me came
and said: I can make alone no Websites, I must more than one be. It wanted to
make Websites, but differently than the others, not alone. And I clarified
unconsciously that I would not create alone it. One had to be to second at
least. And perhaps then, too as third as possible. But I did not create it.
After XXXXX I found a woman, a friend, but we say ourselves: we are one and a
half. One and a half, because we are only half of three. One and a half is not
called and half, it is called half of three. I have it never production to be
too third. The problem of my Website is to find third. That I would have a
programmer for example, but a programmer, who may make also times which other
one, only to program, or at least one, which needs a programming for itself,
which would not be content, to make its cash and to sell, which needed for
itself, that did not only need the code also for itself and for the agency or
for me, if I require it of him. If it a programmer would be good -. If it
finance were, then would be it finances. If it were a recorder, it would be a
recorder. If it were a designer, a designer. That would be all the same -
everyone could be third. We believe that the large silicone Alley of portals are
sketched by one, sometimes from two, if they are good, if they are better. And
if for example... Me it is only recently again come up that the strength was
situated from Nettime that they could come to a certain point in time into
Europe to the break-through, simply in the fact that they were too third or too
viert, which talked together about Internet. And that was approximately already
sufficient in relation to the others, because they which said and which had need
to say itself it because they had the need to pass through by the impression of
somewhat and this impression means was evenly Internet and not the book.
Otherwise one does not make Internet.

(14) The network criticism should make Websites, instead of criticizing. Or
however network criticism such as Websites make. Their strength, when they made
network criticism, consisted of the fact that it was not a criticism. They spoke
as programmers about the Websites of other programmers, and often they did not
know, what they wanted to say about the Website as Website, because them did not
please them simply. There only remained for them - they could not say easily:
that is broken links - to try to attach to call with the name which had made it,
as a physical and moral person, and, this physical and moral person somewhat, so
that their it became clear that they which bad about the Website said. When they
made Nettime, they spoke them about Websites, because it did not manage,
Websites to program. That did not make it sad, it began only. I believe, then
was it. I never saw myself as a network critic, but when someone, which talks
about a Website, because it has desire to make even one. About a Website to talk
was to be made like one. It was a type to do something with the Internet to
have.

(15) Today I have again desire - and if we have time, we will perhaps make it,
and if I find two or three people, which have also desire in addition like I -,
I have again desire, I hope, that am a spiral and none circulus vitiosus to make
again criticism and talk over Internet or to make Internet in form of a
magazine. Times it does not program, but writes and publishes, a mixture from
Screenshots and texts, particularly network criticism, like her today, my
opinion after, to be perhaps differently made could to come there that one
criticizes a Website, as one criticizes a meal or an autoengine, which is
falsely installed. That one does not say: that is beautiful, that is great, that
is as from Jodi, that is more beautiful than Jodi...

(16) On the AR Electronica were we, but we felt really very much unwohl thereby.
We did not want to go on Berlin beta, therefore we felt obligated to go on AR
the Electronica and easily did not dare to say to them they would be just as
bloed and we also, because we would have come. And then we wanted to show our
Website also gladly. That is really very distorted everything. That is, as if
one goes to a meeting and says themselves then afterwards: Which is only for a
beschissener association, I hold here that no longer out... But one can say
oneself that only if one only is times there. The Medienfestivals is like a law.
Anyhow Festivals are the only places, where about Websites one does not speak.
But it is correct already, if the Internet people do not talk about Websites.
One must nevertheless talk a little about, which one makes, and so meets it
evenly in this form. That gives it actually everywhere. There are congresses of
dentist, it gives congresses... The Internetmacher is an industry like every
different one also. The dentists would not dare naturally to say: the Festival
of the tooth.

translated with babelfish <http://babelfish.altavista.com>
different versions of this text: http://rolux.org/starship
first published in starship no4 <http://www.star-ship.org>
no copyright 2000 textz.com - we are the & in copy & paste