text warez on 8 Nov 2000 14:54:01 -0000

[Nettime-bold] (no subject)

listen online: http://216.10.241.30/imc/nyc/realclintonbai.ram

AMY GOODMAN: Mr. President, are you there?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: I am, can you hear me?

AMY GOODMAN: Yes, we can. You are calling radio stations to tell
people to get out and vote. What do you say to people who feel
that the two parties are bought by corporations, and that they
are ... at this point feel that their vote doesn't make a
difference?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: There's just not a shred of evidence to
support that. That's what I would say. It's true that both
parties have wealthy supporters. But let me offer you ... let me
just give you the differences. Let's look at economic policy.
First of all, if you look at the last eight years, look where
America was eight years ago, and look where it is today. We have
the strongest economy in history. And for the first time in 30
years, the incomes of average people and lower income working
people have gone up 15 percent after inflation. The lowest
minority unemployment ever recorded. The highest minority home
ownership. The highest minority business ownership in history.
That's our record.

If you look at our proposals, what do we propose to do? We
propose a tax cut that helps average people, for child care, for
long term care. For paying for college tuition. For retirement
savings. We propose to invest large amounts of money in
education, health care, the environment, in our future. And we
propose to keep paying down the debt, because that keeps
interest rates lower.

What do the Republicans propose? A tax cut that's three times as
big. Most of it goes to very wealthy people. The top one percent
of the people get as much money as they would spend on health
care, education and the environment combined. They propose to
privatize Social Security, and if you add the two things
together, we'll be back in deficits which means the economy will
go down, you know, and interest rates will be higher for
ordinary people.

AMY GOODMAN: President Clinton ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: So look, I mean, that's just one example. You
asked the question, there's not ...

AMY GOODMAN: Right.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Look at campaign finance reform. The
Democrats are for it, the Republican leadership kills it.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, let me just ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Look at the environment. The Dem- ... we've
got the cleanest environment in history. The best environmental
record in history. And the Republicans want to reverse our
environmental record. So give me ... you can't give one example
of where both parties are dominated by large corporations and
therefore there is no difference. The American people's lives
are a lot better than they were eight years ago.

The truth is there is an ideological struggle between those who
believe that the best way to grow the economy is to give more
money to the wealthy, and the Democrats who believe that the
wealthy will make more money if average people do better.

AMY GOODMAN: President Clinton, since it's rare to get you on
the phone, let me ask you another question. And that is what is
your position on granting Leonard Peltier, the Native American
activist, executive clemency?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, I don't ... I don't have a position I
can announce yet. I think that ... I believe there is a new
application for him in there. And when I have time, after the
election is over, I'm going to review all the remaining
executive clemency applications. And, you know, see what the
merits dictate. I will try to do what I think the right thing to
do is, based on the evidence. And I ... I have never had the
time actually to sit down myself, and review that case. I know
it's very important to a lot of people, maybe on both sides of
the issue. And I think I owe it to them, to give it an honest
look-see. So part of my responsibilities in the last ten weeks
of office after the election will be to review the requests for
pardons and executive clemencies, and give them a fair hearing.
And I pledge to do that.

AMY GOODMAN: And you will give an answer in his case?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Oh, yeah, I'll decide one way or the other.

AMY GOODMAN: And finally, do you support a moratorium on the
death penalty, given the studies that show how racist it has
been app- ... how ... how it has been applied in the (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, I think in the case of ... I certainly
support what the Governor of Illinois did. Because there was, uh
... clear evidence in Illinois that a lot of mistakes had been
made. In the case of the Federal Government, I have asked the
Attorney General to conduct a comprehensive review and to let me
... and to report back to us, on the racial disparities and on
any question of guilt, on adequate assistance of counsel on all
those things, to determine whether there should be a moratorium,
and I haven't gotten her findings yet. Now so far, the only two
cases which have come up have been deferred while we do this
study.

And so when that comes in and if it comes in while I'm still in
office, then I'll make a judgement. And if it doesn't, I think
that the next President I would hope would make the same
decision, based on the merits, based on what the evidence shows.
The disturbing thing to me is that there is not only an apparent
racial disparity on Death Row, but also ... in the Federal
Government ... but also way over half the cases come from a
relatively small number of the US Attorney's offices. Which is,
you know, it's disturbing.

But again, let me just say this. If you are concerned about
that, that's a good reason to vote for Al Gore and Joe
Lieberman, and Hillary for the Senate. And for the people in New
Jersey, who can hear you, for John Corzine. Because we know the
Democrats care about these issues, and we know they're not very
important to the Republicans.

AMY GOODMAN: Vice President (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: So that's another example of another reason
you ought to vote for the Democrats.

AMY GOODMAN: ... Gore supports the death penalty.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: He does, but ...

AMY GOODMAN: And Lieberman.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Yes, they do. But there is a difference in
supporting it and thinking that you would carry it out even if
you thought the system was fundamentally unfair. His opponent
(Overlap)

AMY GOODMAN: But the studies show that ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: But ... but the studies are not complete.
Because the studies have to ... what the Attorney General is
doing is not just looking at everybody that's been convicted,
but everybody that could have been charged, that wasn't. There
is a lot more stuff that needs to be done. And it may confirm
the initial view of who is on the death penalty. But I think
what ... you ought to look at that as compared with Texas, for
example, where there was evidence that ... of lawyers falling
asleep in their trials, were not enough to deter Texas from
continuing to carry out the death penalty, which I thought was
unacceptable. And so I think that if you are interested in
having somebody that at least has the capacity to look at the
fairness of this, you only have one choice.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, I guess many people were quite disturbed that
when you first ran for President, you went back in the midst of
your campaign to Arkansas, and presided over the execution of a
mentally impaired man.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Yeah, but let me ... let's go back to the
facts here. He was not mentally impaired when he committed the
crime. He became mentally impaired because he was wounded after
he murdered somebody. And the law says that it is your mental
state at the time you committed the crime, that is something no
one else ever ... no one ever says that when they talk about it.
Had he been mentally impaired when he committed the crime, I
would never have carried out the death penalty, because he was
not in a position to know what he was doing. That is not what
the facts were.

MAN: Because (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Effectively, if I had not gone home, I would
have been accused of putting a tough decision off on somebody
else.

GONZALO ABURTO: President Clinton, my name is GONZALO ABURTO. I
am a Latino living here in New York, on behalf of La Nueva
Alternativa here at BAI. And I want to ask you why Latinas and
Latinos in the United States should vote for Gore and Lieberman.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: I think they should vote for Al Gore and Joe
Lieberman for several reasons. First of all, we are committed to
fairness for legal immigrants. And we are trying to pass a law
right now, to guarantee that. And our opponents in the
Republican Party are opposed to that, and that's ... and the
Congressional leaders are opposed to it, which is another reason
to vote for Al Gore, Joe Lieberman and for Hillary, for John
Corzine in New Jersey. The Latinos should know that the
Democrats favor fairness for immigrants. Secondly, we favor
affirmative action. Thirdly, we favor hate crimes legislation
and employment non-discrimination legislation. And the
appointments of judges to the Supreme Court that would protect
civil rights and human rights.

And fourthly, let me say again, we have had an economic policy
that has dramatically improved the lives of Latinos. When I
became President, the Latino unemployment rate was 11.8 percent.
Today it is 5 percent, the lowest in the history of the country.
So if you are looking for somebody that wants to make sure
everybody is part of America's present and future, Al Gore is
your man. He also proposes to put more money into the schools in
the poorest parts of our country to modernize the schools, to
hire more teachers, to connect all the classrooms to the
Internet.

He proposes health care reforms that would provide medicine for
seniors on Medicare and more health insurance for children and
for the ... for the working parents of low income people. The
Latino working families have the highest level of uninsured
people of any population group in the country. So for all those
reasons, Latinos should vote for Gore and Lieberman and Hillary.

AMY GOODMAN: Yet despite massive protests in Puerto Rico, the US
Navy continues to bomb, and you ... the island of Vieques. And
you have authorized this, and ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Now wait a minute. Wait, wait just a minute
now. The United States Navy has an agreement with the government
of Puerto Rico, the representative of all the people of Puerto
Rico, to turn back ... if ... to turn back the western half of
Vieques to Puerto Rico. To not have any live fire bombing. There
is no live fire bombing going on there. And to terminate all the
training within a couple of years, during which time they have
to find a new place to train.

So this ... this training that is going on now is subsequent to
an agreement. Now, the Republicans in Congress broke the
agreement, and instead of giving the Western part of the island
to Puerto Rico, gave it to the Interior Department to manage. If
I can't find a way to give that island, the western part of the
island back to the people of Puerto Rico, and to honor the
agreement that the government of Puerto Rico itself made with
the support of the local leaders, including the mayor of
Vieques, then the people of Puerto Rico I think have a right to
say the Federal Government broke its word, and the training has
to stop right now.

But I think the training should stop because the people don't
want it there. But we need a place to train, and we are in the
process of finding another place. And we made an agreement with
the Governor and the people of Puerto Rico, the elected
representatives, to turn over the western part of the island, to
invest a lot of money in helping to build up the tourism
capacity and protect the environmental structure of the Vieques,
and to otherwise compensate the people of Puerto Rico and the
Island of Vieques, for the training in the past.

So I think it was a good agreement, and I think the agreement
ought to be honored. And I was disappointed that the Congress
didn't fully honor it. But I think I can find a way to keep the
commitment in the Federal Government anyway. And that is what
I'm

GONZALO ABURTO: Mr. President, what do you think about possible
amnesty for undocumented ... (Inaudible) trabajadores
indocumentados?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, I think that, uh ... that's what I
meant earlier. I've got a bill before Congress now, that would
treat legal immigrants from Honduras, from ... from Guatemala,
from Haiti, from Salvador, in the same way that the Congress has
already voted to treat immigrants from Cuba and Nicaragua. I
think that it's not right, the way we have treated a lot of
these immigrant populations differently. I know there aren't
many Liberians probably among your listeners. Most of them live
up in the Rhode Island, Massachusetts area. But they also are
being treated unfairly and I am trying to get them included in
immigrant fairness.

And again, I'm having a big fight with the leadership of the
Republican Party in Congress. So the Democrats are for that, and
... and the ... and the Republicans aren't. So that is another
reason, if you care about that, that we need to have someone to
... to stand up to them. And that means that we need Al Gore.
And if ... I think the Democrats have a good chance to win the
House and maybe the Senate. But if we don't win, it's very
important that Gore be the President, because somebody has got
to be there to stop the extremist Republicans in Congress.

And therefore, we need every Democratic Senator we can get. We
need Corzine in New Jersey. We need Hillary in New York. And we
need most important, we've got to have Gore and Lieberman in the
White House.

AMY GOODMAN: President Clinton, UN figures show that up to 5,000
children a month die in Iraq because of the sanctions against
Iraq.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: (Overlap) That's not true. That's not true.
And that's not what they show. Let me just tell you something.
Before the sanctions, the year before the Gulf War, and you said
this ... how much money did Iraq earn from oil? Answer - $16
billion. How much money did Iraq earn last year from oil? How
much money did they get, cash on the barrel head, to Saddam
Hussein? Answer - $19 billion that he can use exclusively for
food, for medicine, to develop his country. He's got more money
now, $3 billion a year more than he had nine years ago.

If any child is without food or medicine or a roof over his or
her head in Iraq, it's because he is claiming the sanctions are
doing it and sticking it to his own children. We have worked
like crazy to make sure that the embargo only applies to his
ability to reconstitute his weapon system and his military
statement. This is a guy who butchered the children of his own
country, who were Kurds, who were Shi'ites.

He used chemical weapons on his own people, and he is now lying
to the world and claiming the mean old United States is killing
his children. He has more money today than he did before the
embargo, and if they're hungry or they are not getting medicine,
it is h is own fault.

AMY GOODMAN: The past two UN heads of the program in Iraq have
quit, calling the US policy ... US/UN policy, genocidal. What is
your response to that?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: They're wrong! They think that we should
reward ... Saddam Hussein says, I'm going to starve my kids
unless you let me buy nuclear weapons, chemical weapons and
biological weapons. If you let me do everything I want to do so
I can get in a position to kill and intimidate people again,
then I will stop starving my kids. And so we are supposed to
assume responsibility for his misconduct. That's just not right!
I know they ... you know, the truth is a lot of these people
want to start doing business with Saddam Hussein again because
they want his money.

And, you know, they want his ... the money he earns from oil.
But the ... it is an absolute fact that he has more money today
than he did before the embargo. So if any child is without food
or medicine, it is because he has made a deliberate decision to
let them die, to try to build up pressure to lift the embargo so
he can spend that money how ever he wants. He doesn't want to
spend that money on his people. He wants to spend that money to
become the military dictator of the Middle East again.

Now, if people want to let him do it, that's one thing. But, you
know, I have consistently supported changing and relaxing the
embargo since I've been President, to make absolutely sure that
he had enough money and enough freedom in the use of the money
to rebuild the country economically, and to try to feed those
children and get them medicine. There were a lot of problems
with the embargo in the beginning. There were legitimate
criticisms.

But he now has more money with the absolute freedom to spend it
on food and medicine and development, and medical care of all
kinds, than he did before the embargo was put in. That's the
fact. No one can dispute that. So nobody can figure out why
there are problems among the children except that he won't spend
the money on them.

He spends the money on his own military, on his own crowd and he
avoids spending it on a lot of kids who need it so he can blame
us, so he can actually get total control over his money, so he
can rebuild his apparatus.

GONZALO ABURTO: Mr. President (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: And, you know, remember, this is the only
guy, the only world leader today who has used chemical weapons
on his own citizens. And the American people in my judgement
should give him all the money he needs to take care of his kids.
But should do everything we can, and even if we are alone, to
try to stop him from being in a position of murdering his kids
again, and murdering other children in the Middle East. That's
what I believe.

GONZALO ABURTO: Mr. President, are we going to see a substantial
change in the policy to Cuba? Regarding Cuba?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, let me say we were on the way to that
change. Back in 1996, we had a lot of changes in my first term,
in our policy towards Cuba. And we were working our way toward a
reconciliation. And the Cubans were working their way toward
more openness, more freedom for their farmers, and their people
and we were really making headway. And then, they illegally shot
down those two planes, and four people died on the planes. And
the Congress passed the Cuba ... the Helms/Burton bill, so-
called.

And I don't have much flexibility to do much more. What I have
done with Cuba is to use the maximum extent of my legal powers
to promote people to people contacts with Cuba and the Cuban
people. I do believe there that the Cuban people have suffered
because of the embargo, and we should do more in the area of
food, in the area of medicine, in the area of people to people
contacts.

And, you know, I believe that it is just a question of time to
when the United States and Cuba are reconciled. And I think that
the situation is tragic.

AMY GOODMAN: How do you just (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: But it wouldn't have happened if Castro
hadn't shot those planes down out of the air, in blatant
violation of international law. It was just murder. There is no
other ... there is no way to put a fine point on it. I mean, and
we were ... sometimes I think he doesn't want the embargo
lifted, because it is an excuse for the problems that he has
with his own administration. Because he knew where we were
going, he knew we were moving to reconcile. And he knew good and
well that it was a total violation of international law to
murder people who were in unarmed airplanes.

AMY GOODMAN: How do you justify imposing the embargo against
Cuba and lifting it against China, normalizing relations with
China?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, first of all, China hasn't killed any
of our pilots lately. They haven't murdered any Americans - as a
matter of fact, the United States accidentally and tragically
killed some Chinese citizens during our military campaign in
Kosovo. And we have differences with China that we think can
best be resolved. China is a nuclear power, and we think they
have missile capacity. We have worked very hard with them to
reduce the ... the threats of sales of missiles to renegade
states, to ... to make the world a safer place. And they've
worked with us on peace on the Korean peninsula, to help the
North Korean situation.

And we would ... as I said, I believe if Castro hadn't shot
those planes down, and the Congress hadn't passed a law which
prohibits me from doing anything with the embargo, that we might
have made some real progress there. But it ... sooner or later
this is going to happen, and the sooner the better. The sooner
we can be reconciled with the people of Cuba, the better. But
Mr. Castro is going to have to make some changes, and, you know,
you can't keep just throwing people in jail for human rights
violations and expect the United States to do nothing with this
huge Cuban population here. I hope that we can make some more
progress.

And believe me, it would have happened if he hadn't shot those
planes down. And sometimes I wonder if he shot them down just to
make sure the embargo couldn't be lifted, because as long as he
can blame the United States, then he doesn't have to answer to
his own people for the failures of his economic policy. I wish
it were different and maybe it will be under the next
administration.

AMY GOODMAN: Amnesty International has described what the
Israeli forces are now doing in the occupied territories as ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Listen, I can't do a whole press conference
here. It's Election Day and I've got a lot of people and places
to call.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, I guess these are the questions that may ...
are very important to our listeners and these are the questions
that (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, I've answered them all.

AMY GOODMAN: Right, and we appreciate that. And ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: I have answered them all. Now let me just
tell you, on the Israeli Palestinian thing, the Secretary
General of the United Nations and I were together in Egypt. We
agreed on a three-pronged strategy to end the violence and
restore the peace talks. And with regard to the Amnesty
International findings, what we agreed to do was to set up a
fact-finding commission, to look into what happened, how the
recent violence started, and what can be done to avoid it
recurring. And the agreement was that that would happen as soon
as the violence was stopped. And we have had some progress in
the last two or three days. Everybody is working hard.

And I think the ... the less I say right now, the better,
publicly because I don't want to complicate things. I'm working
my heart out to stop the violence, get the Commission appointed
and get the peace process started. In the Middle East, which is
something that I know more than a little bit about, the only
answer to this over the long run is an agreement that covers all
the issues that the Palestinians feel aggrieved by; guarantees
the Israelis security and acceptance within the region; and is a
just and lasting peace. That's the only answer to this in the
long run.

And we've just got to work through it. I have some hope that in
the next few days we'll be able to do it. Mr. Arafat is coming
to see me on Thursday, and Mr. Barak, is coming to see me on
Sunday. And we'll try to get it resolved. That's all I can tell
you now. And I think ...

AMY GOODMAN: (Overlap) Why is ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: ... I think the United Nations will support
... well, I know they will, the implementation of the agreement
that we made at Sharn el-Sheik.

AMY GOODMAN: Why not ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Which would ...

AMY GOODMAN: Why not support a UN force in the Middle East for
the illegal occupation of the territories? And at this point I
think we are around 150 people being killed in the occupied
territories, overwhelmingly Palestinian.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: You can support it if you want to, but the
Israelis won't support it. And there was a war in which that
happened. And if you want to make peace, then you have to do
things that both sides can agree with. That's what a peace
agreement is. And I do not believe that just as I don't think
Israel can forever impose their situation in the Middle East,
and they don't either which is why we started the Oslo Peace
Process seven years ago; neither do I think that, you know,
everybody else saying the UN is going to impose their will on
Israel on its own territory will work out either.

We've got to have a peace agreement here, that's the only way
this is ever going to be resolved. And I don't think that we
should do anything or say anything right now, except something
that will stop people from getting killed, and get the peace
process started again.

AMY GOODMAN: Many people say that Ralph Nader is at the high
percentage point he is in the polls because you have been
responsible for taking the Democratic party to the right. What
do you say to listeners who are listening around the area right
now (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, I'm glad you asked that.

AMY GOODMAN: ... those concerns.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: I'm glad you asked that, and that's the last
question I've got time for. I'll be happy to ... answer that.
What is the measure of taking the Democratic Party to the right?
That we cut the welfare rolls in half? That poverty is at a 20
year low? That child poverty has been cut by a third in our
administration? That the incomes of average Americans have gone
up 15 percent after inflation? That poverty among seniors has
gone below 10 percent for the first time in American history?
That we have the lowest African American, the lowest Latino
unemployment rate in the history of the country? That we have a
500 percent increase in the number of minority kids taking
advanced placement tests?

That the schools in this country, that the test scores among ...
since we have required all the schools to have basic standard
test scores, among African Americans and other minorities have
gone up steadily? Now what (Overlap)

AMY GOODMAN: Can I say that some people ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Now, let me just finish.

AMY GOODMAN: Let me just say ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Now let me ... now, wait a minute. You
started this and every question you've asked has been hostile
and combative. So you listen to my answer, will you do that?

AMY GOODMAN: They've been (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Now, you just listen to me. You ask the
questions, and I'm going to answer. You have asked questions in
a hostile, combative, and even disrespectful tone, but I ... and
you have never been able to combat the facts I have given you.
Now, you listen to this. The other thing Ralph Nader says is
that, you know, he's pure as Caesar's wife on the environment.

Under this administration, 43 million more Americans are
breathing cleaner air. We have safer drinking water, safer food,
cleaner water. We have more land set aside than any
administration in history since Theodore Roosevelt. We have
cleaned up three times as many toxic waste sites as the previous
administrations did in 12 years. And we passed a chemical right-
to-know law that is a very tough law. It's the best
environmental record in history.

Al Gore's opponent, and one of the two of them are going to be
President ... Al Gore's opponent has promised to weaken the
clean air standards, and repeal a lot of the land protections.
Now, those are the facts. People can say whatever they want to.
Those are the facts.

AMY GOODMAN: What people say is that you pushed through NAFTA,
that we have the highest population of prisoners in the
industrialized world, of over 2 million. That more people are on
death penalty in this country than anywhere else. And that
people are (Overlap)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Well, all right. Okay, that's fine.

AMY GOODMAN: (Overlap/Inaudible) ... opposed on them.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: That's fine. But two thirds of the American
people support that. I think there are too many people in
prison, too. I have called for a total evaluation of the people
in the Federal prison system, a review of the Federal sentencing
guidelines. I did my best to persuade Congress to get rid of the
discrepancy between crack cocai- ... crack and powdered cocaine
and the sentencing guidelines.

I agree with that. Nobody ever said America was perfect. I
disagree, I think NAFTA has been good for America. I think it's
been good. It has helped to reduce illegal immigration, it's
helped to provide a decent standard of life in Mexico. I think
it has been good. I think the agreement we made to open our
markets to Africa and the poor countries in the Caribbean were
good for America.

People complain about our trade agreements. Trade is at ...
accounting for 30 percent of our economic growth, and we have
the lowest unemployment rate in 30 years. How can anybody make a
serious case that trade's been bad for America? We have a 15
percent increase in average income of ordinary Americans, the
lowest unemployment rate in 30 years, and the lowest
unemployment rate ever recorded among African Americans and
Hispanics.

Now, I don't think you can make a sane case that if we closed up
our markets, that either Africa or Latin America or America
would be better off.

AMY GOODMAN: What about ...

PRESIDENT CLINTON: The real problem you've got are the ... this
country is in good shape. Now, I've talked to you a long time.
It's Election Day. There are a lot of other people that ...

AMY GOODMAN: We appreciate that.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: ... in America, and I've got to go.

AMY GOODMAN: One last question, what about granting an executive
order ending racial profiling in this country?

PRESIDENT CLINTON: I expect that we will end racial profiling.
Here is the deal. The Attorney General is supposed to give me a
report on that. I'm opposed to it. Al Gore is opposed to it.
Here's the deal. Look, I had some ... I had two people who work
for me in the White House, who were wrongly stopped, handcuffed
and hassled the other day. I have spoken out against racial
profiling and Hillary has made it a big issue in New York.

And so here is the issue, and here is what we are working on. We
are trying to find a way to issue orders, and reg- ... rules and
regulations that end racial profiling, that clearly do not
prevent law enforcement officials from investigating particular
crimes. And there is a way to do it and we are working on it,
and the Attorney General is working on it. But, you know, Janet
Reno was a prosecutor in Miami, in Dade County, for 12 years.
She dealt with a large African American population, a large
Haitian population, a large Latino population.

She had a great reputation with all of them. And she is trying
to fashion a resolution of this that ends racial profiling, that
clearly allows law enforcement to continue. And that is where
this is now. This is going to be done. And we have to do it.

AMY GOODMAN: Thank you for spending the time, President Clinton.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Thank you.

MAN: Thank you, Mr. President.

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Goodbye.

GONSOLO BUERTO: Goodbye.