Alan Sondheim on 8 Nov 2000 19:18:56 -0000

[Nettime-bold] RALPH: CALL FOR NATIONAL UNITY GOVERNMENT NOW! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:26:46 -0500
From: Skip Mendler <smendler@ptd.net>
To: smendler@well.com
Subject: RALPH: CALL FOR NATIONAL UNITY GOVERNMENT NOW!

As I write this, the outcome of the Presidential race is still in doubt.
But whichever candidate gains the victory in Florida and with it the White
House, he inherits a country split precisely down the middle, and cannot
claim to have received any sort of clear mandate from the American people.
For this reason, I believe that the winner of the campaign should move
quickly to set up a National Unity Government, selecting Cabinet officers
and other appointees from qualified applicants from across the political
spectrum, and chart a centrist and consensual course for America's
short-term future.  If George W Bush is serious about being "a uniter, not a
divider," then he dare do no less; if Al Gore wants to "fight on behalf of
the American people," he will have to fight on behalf of all of them.

 I believe that Ralph Nader should immediately issue a call for such a
government to be established, and that the Green Party should announce a
slate of possible candidates for the various appointive positions as soon as
possible.

Please repost widely.  Thank you.

Skip Mendler
smendler@well.com