Curt Hagenlocher on 9 Nov 2000 22:10:36 -0000

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> Energy, Elections, and the Internet

> From: Law [mailto:law@cs.orst.edu]
>
> The Nader-ite denial rolls on. First, your characterization of gore
> voters is demeaning and second, where is your support?

Anecdotal evidence is rarely worth much.  Nevertheless...  Almost
everyone I know voted for Gore.  Of these, nearly half expressed
the idea that they would have liked to vote for Nader, but were
too afraid of a Bush victory to do so.  The majority of these
people effectively became single-issue "Supreme Court" voters.

I don't know *anybody* that was actually *excited* about the
prospects of a Gore victory.

The current electoral college stalemate is arguably the most
interesting thing to happen in American politics in years.
But then, I voted for neither Kang nor Kodos.

To bring this conversation back to a more appropriate nettime
topic, isn't it about time we reevaluated this system of
representation based strictly on geography?  In a networked
world where I live in one location, telecommute to another,
and make purchases all over the country, what reason is there
to think that my interests are conjoined to those of only
my physical neighbors?

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curth@motek.com