Benjamin Geer on 13 Nov 2000 19:23:48 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Cellphones and the Cancer of Cellspace

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 09:02:19AM +0100, <<<bernhard loibner>>> wrote:
> I think it is fairly naive to see mobile phones as a fashion accessory
> and people who use it as addicted to consumerism. In an environment with
> a saturation of cell phones as high as in most european countries it is
> hardly an item suitable for elitism or avantgarde of any kind.

In a recent billboard ad for a mobile phone, the slogan was something
like, `Are you sure you want to get this much attention?'  Someone
else has already pointed out, on this list, that Nokia phones have
detachable covers so they can be colour-coordinated with one's outfit.
Mobile phones are as heavily fetishised as cars.

The fact that most women carry handbags does not mean that handbags
aren't a fashion accessory.  Fashion has little to do with elitism or
the avant-garde.  It is fundamentally a type of conformism.  Far from
being diminished by ubiquity, it *requires* ubiquity.

--
Benjamin Geer
http://www.btinternet.com/~amisuk/bg