George(s) Lessard on 15 Nov 2000 03:08:43 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Community Media Researcher seeks assistance

Contact
Kevin Howley <khowley@lynx.dac.neu.edu>
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication Studies
Northeastern University
139 Holmes Hall
Boston, MA 02115
Tel. (617) 373-4076
Fax (617) 373-8533
www.dac.neu.edu/communication/k.howley/CV.html

Apologies for cross-posting

CALL FOR RESEARCH ASSISTANCE/PARTICIPATION

My name is Kevin Howley and I am an Assistant Professor of Communication
Studies at Northeastern University.  Currently, I am working on a book
about community media. By community media, I refer to grassroots or
locally oriented media access initiatives predicated on a profound sense
of dissatisfaction with mainstream media form and content, dedicated to
the principles of free expression and participatory democracy, and
committed to preserving of local cultural autonomy and promoting community
solidarity.

This book consists of original research on four different geographic
communities making use of four discrete technologies  (radio, television,
newspaper, and computer networks) for purposes of community communication.
This volume seeks to demonstrate community media's social, political, and
cultural relevance in an increasingly global media environment.  In
addition to these case studies, I hope to construct a substantive, but by
no means comprehensive overview of community media around the world.

To that end, I am seeking contact information for researchers and
practitioners with first-hand knowledge of community media
organizations.  Specifically, I would like to establish a working
relationship with anyone who has an abiding theoretical and/or practical
interest in the day-to-day operations of community media organizations. If
you or someone you know is interested in lending research assistance or
serving as an informant for this project, please contact me off the list.

Sincerely,

KH
---
Kevin Howley <khowley@lynx.dac.neu.edu>
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication Studies
Northeastern University
139 Holmes Hall
Boston, MA 02115
Tel. (617) 373-4076
Fax (617) 373-8533
www.dac.neu.edu/communication/k.howley/CV.html

:-) Message ends, Signature begins (-:
George Lessard, Member, ICANN @Large Member # 375469
Comments should be sent to mediamentor@cyberdude.com
Current resume available via e-mail at
mediamentor@GetResponse.com
MSN Messanger address lessard99@hotmail.com
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly
find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot...
"If you think you are too small to make a difference,
try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito..." African Proverb
ICQ # 8501081
Moderator Creative-Radio http://www.eGroups.com/list/creative-radio
MediaMentor Weblog http://www.eGroups.com/list/mediamentor
Homepages http://media002.tripod.com
Caveat Lector, Disclaimers & (c) info http://members.tripod.com/~media002/disclaimer.htm

Semi-random signature quotes follow:
  Hark, the Herald Tribune sings, Advertising wondrous things.
- Tom Lehrer