James Buckhouse on 15 Nov 2000 15:33:28 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Portables

Call For Information:
/Portables/ - Personal Art in Public Spaces

reply to: jbuckhouse@yahoo.com

Call for Information regarding artist's projects that use:
Pagers, cell-phones, palms, or portables in their work.

Film festivals for your Sony hand-held?
Novels for your cell-phone?
Net.art for your Palm?

There have been many interesting projects in the last few years dealing
with portable technologies. Most of these projects address in some way
with the transmission and reception of data as an integral part of an art
experience that takes place in a physical, public space.

If you have done or heard about a project or conference that seems to
follow along these lines, I would love to hear about it! I have started to
gather information and have heard from many of you, but am very interested
in hearing more from everyone.

I have just finished putting together an exhibition of Screen Savers as
public art (www.ArtMuseum.net, Stanford University Museum of Art, Viper
Festival) and am very interested in the art implications of
portables, both as an artist, and as a person interested in creating
shows and bringing artists together. From the discussions on Nettime and
elsewhere, it seems many people are also very interested.

The discussions so far seem to be productive and asking good questions. I
have enjoyed hearing about WAP and phone ideas and questions.  I have no
further details yet available on an exhibition - this is just a call for
information.

Thank you for your help in information gathering!
Looking forward to hearing from you.

James Buckhouse

reply to jbuckhouse@yahoo.com

+ you rock it, i'll throw names at it
-> Rhizome.org
-> post: list@rhizome.org
-> questions: info@rhizome.org
-> give: http://rhizome.org/support
+
Subscribers to Rhizome Raw are subject to the terms set out in the
Subscriber Agreement available online at http://rhizome.org/subscribe/