lisa bode on 15 Nov 2000 22:49:06 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Cellphones and the Cancer of Cellspace

> actually i realise there is a lack of a lots of communication tools in a
> mobile as facial expressions, body language, body contact, eyecontact,
> smell... which sometimes makes it hard.

indeed: the same narrow communication bandwidth as the telephone, reliant
on voice. so we have developed things like listening noises "uh-huh" to
indicate to each other that we are still paying attention (even if we're
not - is it easier to lie via telephone?). i would not be surprised to find
that vocal intonation has become more expressive since the advent of the
telephone. but then again, the number of teenagers i hear on the train
speaking on their mobiles in seemingly bored monosyllabic monotones...
maybe it's a music of subtle cadences to which my generation is deaf.

in terms of space, i think the mobile has some similarities to the walkman:
a personal portable technology, demarcating private space in public.

lisa