atty on 10 Dec 2000 15:14:04 -0000

[Nettime-bold] net-art00 >>> 01

Dear all,

We will be counting up votes for our web specific art arena 'net-art00'
at the end of the year, so now is the time to get your reactions to
projects from '00 fully recorded by paying on or two more visits to
http://www.net-art.org (there have been many new nominations in the last
two weeks). In addition if you want to make some last nominations of
something you feel has got overlooked - nomination form is at
http://www.net-art.org/nominate.asp.

We want to emphasize that net-art.org is not intended to be about
winning this vote. It is conceived simply as a way to gather some
elementary record of what people felt about a wide range of web specific
art projects made in a particular year (beyond relying on those who are
moved to make comments). So we would ask very strongly that you don't
get involved in any organized attempt to vote a particular site or
creator up the record.

Unfortunately at 'net-art99', it has now become apparent that the sites
that were recorded as first and third most popular did benefit
significantly from getting top scores from a small group of people
visiting net-art.org over a three day period just to register their
support for those sites. Although that result will not be changed it
will now be annotated to indicate this (apologies to all for not picking
this up earlier). In future sites that benefit from patterns of voting
that show a timing or geographical cluster of voting indicative of
having partisan and/or organized support will be eliminated. Please let
the projects listed 'speak for themselves'. http://www.net-art.org is
intended to be an open arena with open access to both well known
creators and those not so well known, those with a lot of traffic to
their existing sites and those with less.

Next year we will be reviewing the existing format, this year's list of
nominations is the longest yet, and we may have to consider some process
of elimination or 'heats' since maybe the listing becomes too unwieldy
for the visitor to net-art.org (any comments?). We hope to launch
'net-art01' from the two week Barcelona street festival, Festival
Gracia, in August '01, with display of work from top practitioners - all
welcome. The possibility exists that the creator(s) of the most popular
site of '01 will get to visit that city for that festival the following
year.

have a good one

yours
andy forbes