cristine wang on 4 Jan 2001 03:12:05 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: Technically engaged at AIR Gallery>>

hey tina + everyone:

if you read the posting i sent out, it just
stated the FACTS...

there isn't anything to clarify in private.

those projects were COMMISSIONED by the
Alternative Museum as part of the Digital Media
Commissions 2000, made possible by a generous
grant from the New York State Council of Cultural
Affairs, Cultural Challenge Grant.

i will cite The Walker Art Center + Gallery 9
Jerome Foundation Grants, which includes Diane
Ludin this year, and in lieu of presenting her
Walker ARt/Gallery 9/ commissioned project, she
is exhibiting something else, which i think as
artists, given the wonderful opportunity to
install a new work in a specific physical
location, why would you even fathom presenting
work commissioned by another institution which
has not even been launched yet...?

It's as if Shu Lea Cheang was commissioned by the
Guggenheim Museum for "Brandon" web based work,
and AIR gallery decided they would like to show
it, even before it premiered on the Guggenheim
museum website, i am sure a lawsuit and/or
forfeiting of grant monies would ensue...

It's standard procedure for digital commissions:

http://www.walkerart.org/gallery9/jerome/g9_jerome_02.html

Kind regards,
Cristine Wang

--- Tina LaPorta <laporta.interport@rcn.com>