Ronda Hauben on 14 Feb 2001 16:51:00 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Usenet archives sold?

"S. Kritikos" <metacode@yahoo.com> writes:

>Folks, Ronda has the right idea here. I was wondering whether there are
>any people here interested in exploring the idea of developing such an
>organization or working with existing organizations in order to preserve
>Internet archives?

Does this need for example a mailing list - or using an existing mailing
list? Or a newsgroup on Usenet?

I have done what I can and want to continue to do so, but I don't have
any clear idea of how to get some of the needed support for such
activity. For example the digital libraries projects are funded with
research funds, but they don't seem to be taking up such needs like
those connected with archiving Usenet and keeping the archives available.

It's not clear why they aren't though. What then are they involved with?
Is it they are more concerned with figuring out how to help the corporate
world with copyright protection?

Perhaps there needs to be some exploration of what the problem is and why
it exists. Where is the research effort and funding that should be
taking on such problems as archiving Usenet going instead?

Ronda

ronda@panix.com