Nmherman on 25 Feb 2001 19:54:30 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Photos From Protest of Thomas Friedman, Mpls MN

++

Here are a couple of photos from the recent protest at the University of
Minnesota.  The protest was against Thomas Friedman, who was being granted an
honorary degree for his book "The Lexus and the Olive Tree," often cited as
excessively pro-WTO in orientation.  Audio of the lecture was supposed to
have been archived on the Minnesota Public Radio website, www.mpr.org, for
the noon-one pm time on Friday Feb. 23, but may be removed from the site due
to potential embarrassment to the University.

I included the shot of Vincent Hall, because that is where they used to (and
maybe still do) house the University of Minnesota Talented Youth Mathematics
Project.  I was in UMTYMP for four out of a possible six years; if you stay
for six years you are automatically granted admission to the U of MN
Institute of Technology, where you can help design computers for military and
other purposes.

Here are the photos:

http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/FriedmanMN1.JPG

Most local media aren't covering the protest--in fact many have denied that
it even happened, despite the presence of armed officers poised to arrest all
protestors--so I offer these photos in the hope they are of some value to
those who wish to know what really happened.

The use of small pieces of paper is similar to another protest held at the
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art in August of last year.  You can see
photos of that protest at:

http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/SFMOMA82700.html

Sincerely,

Max Herman