Immediacy Editorial Board on 28 Mar 2001 05:36:21 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Immediacy -Call For Submissions

Immediacy, the on-line forum of The New School Media Studies
Department is currently seeking contributions (text, film/video,
still images, audio) to its new issue on History and Memory. In this
issue, we plan to reconsider the salient subject of history and
memory some ten years after the subject was at its hottest in
American intellectual circles. Have we found the answers to those
questions that once seemed so urgent? Did we not simply end up
confining memory to identity politics and history to conservative
ideology in public discourse? The problems of remembering/forgetting
and reconciliation are still highly relevant and with us today. And
how about memory-as-the-unspeakable, and historical understanding as
the basis of democratic society, just to mention a few possible
avenues for inquiry?
In the new issue of Immediacy we propose to take up these subjects
again, particularly from the perspective of their representation in
various media. We invite contributions in any format that we can
channel through our website, such as text, film, video, audio and
still images, and including reviews of recent books, movies,
exhibitions, websites or other initiatives. Please contact us via e-
mail at immediacy@usa.net. For our earlier issue on the Avantgarde
and our new issue, Media Mix 2000, as well as our policy on
submissions see our website: http://www.newschool.edu/mediastudies/immediacy.

Immediacy Editorial Board

IMMEDIACY is an on-line discussion forum for Media, Arts and Culture sponsored
by The New School University Media Studies Department.
e-mail: immediacy@usa.net
phone: 1.212.229.8903