[Nettime-bold] Jordan Crandall/Larry Rinder/Part2

Part 2

LR:  We're going to be looking at some selections from Heatseeking, Jordan's
newest work, which will be an integral part of the "BitStreams" exhibition
at the Whitney Museum, which opens on March 22.  This is a piece that I
originally saw at inSITE in San Diego in a different format than how we're
going to be presenting it at the Whitney, and we'll discuss that later.   It
was immediately captivating to me, and perhaps because of what Jordan was
talking about before -- that he's coming into his own cinematic vocabulary.
I'm really looking forward to others having a chance to see this work.
Jordan, how do you see Heatseeking extending, or commenting upon, your
earlier works, specifically Drive?  What were some of the unanswered
questions in Drive that you were trying to engage in this new piece?

JC:  It's a good question.  I think that, with this work, a lot of the
conceptions and occupations of Drive are taken further into an interior
space, a psychological space, a psychosexual space.  I wanted to really
probe deep.  The questions that are really primary for me concern not
technology per se, but how is affecting us, not only culturally but
individually, psychically, sexually, and so on.  With Heatseeking I wanted
to probe more deeply into the realm of the imaginary, into a kind of
virtually symbolic.  A kind of virtual unconscious perhaps.  I wanted to
look into these shifting bounds between public and private space, body and
technology, attraction and combat.  This work was developed specifically in
the context of InSITE, a joint cultural project of the US and Mexico, and
results from thinking about the border region of San Diego/Tijuana.  The San
Diego/Tijuana border is the busiest border crossing in the world.  The
physical presence of this border is something that is difficult to get
beyond.  It's very imposing, deeply etched on the landscape. There is an
enormous military presence there, with an arsenal of visual technology.
It's a military presence that is about invasive seeing and fortification.  I
shot Heatseeking with some of this military technology, but I moved toward a
thinking of the constitution of a border in a more symbolic and imaginary
sense, linked to these new kinds of seeing machines, invading machines,
protecting machines, which are also part of embodying forces, dividing
processes, contouring processes. A protecting/invading/contouring dynamic.
It has psychological, psychosexual as well as military dimensions.  I am
thinking about all of this metaphorically.

LR:  This work is richly sensual, and sexual for that matter, as are parts
of Drive.  I wonder if you could talk a bit about your understanding of
sexuality, particularly in relation to the overwhelming, and rather negative
implications of the database/surveillance apparatus, and how you see
sexuality functioning both within that and perhaps against it.

JC:  A lot of which is talked about in critical debates position this as the
installment of a technics of control. It's a technics of control the likes
of which we've never seen, and in fact much of which we can't see.  It's
very much an invisible apparatus, in many senses.  And of course, very
pervasive.  Many theorists whose work I respect, and many involved with
political issues -- which, by the way, I am very much concerned with in my
practice overall -- get themselves into a trap.  It's fatalistic, a sense
that things are over -- that we're seen, tracked, watched, invaded,
controlled to such extent that
there is no privacy left, it's basically finished, all is colonized, we have
no agency left.  You see theorists like Virilio, who is one of my favorites,
boxing themselves in this way.  These debates are very important, but to
balance them we have to learn the lessons taught to us by people like De
Certeau, who shows us that there thousands of ways that we escape the
controlling gaze.  There are all kinds of new practices at groundlevel,
where we appropriate "controlled" space to our own ends.  De Certeau talks
about these very simple things that happen under our noses, that are
continually generating new reversals, appropriations, new pockets of space.
If you look at people's use of webcams in their homes, for example, you
think about what compels us to open up our private lives to the public view
of strangers.  In contrast to invasive seeing, you have to think, what are
the pleasures of being seen?  What are the pleasures of opening oneself up
to unseen worlds?  What kinds of new social and sexual patterns arise?  In
contrast to an invasive databasing, where we are quantified in certain
instrumental ways, you have to think, what are the pleasures of being
counted?  What are the pleasures of registering on other representational
surfaces?  Being tracked and codified is also part of being someone who
matters, someone who is paid attention to.  It is a process of "coming into
being."  So a lot of my use of these erotic dimensions is to resist a
one-way "invasive" argument, because there are all these new channels of
pleasure or desire.  We need to study what those are.  In many ways they are
testaments to human ingenuity.
        There is another current leading into this, that relates to what we
talked about earlier with Drive.  It is the eroticization of the vehicle,
the eroticization of the fit -- the fitting of the body within a
technological system.  There is also the use of seductive imagery as a tool,
a technique, through which to smuggle in ideas.  In that sense it's about
seducing the viewer, compelling them to pay attention.

LR:  There is a statement that you made in an interview with Brian Holmes
that I think summarizes some of what you've been saying.  You said, "from my
own position it involves wanting to discover a role in this
data/surveillance apparatus, and to reinforce a sense of physicality lost
within a network of dispersal.  It is to see what could be a disembodying
system, instead as an embodying, or incorporating one."  I think that is
captured very well in the work, and particularly in its sensual and sexual
dimension, which really figuratively embodies issues, as you were saying,
seducing people to pay attention through the means of the body, the
seduction of the body.
You've been talking in general terms about these works, in terms of
theoretical and social constructs, but I can't help but wonder to what
degree these works are personally expressive.  After all, one notices that
this work, which is nominally an exploration of the conditions of the San
Diego/Tijuana border, which is a massively populated and ethnically diverse
region, is in these images almost completely disinhabited, and ethnically
homogeneous.  Can you talk about your own personal expressive voice in
relation to some of these more general themes that you've been discussing?

JC:  That's the most difficult thing for me to talk about.  But I'll give it
a try.  In response to the first part of what you said, a lot of people
think of technology in very disembodied terms.  But technology points in the
direction of embodiment.  It's very physical.  It's very physicalizing.  So
it's not something that just leads outward into some kind of disembodied
situation -- a detached thing -- but something that helps to mutate or
contour the physical.  That is something that I very much want to emphasize,
with all of my work.  There are cybernetic circuits that connect us to these
things.
        In part of my thinking in how I relate to the work, I think of my
being a kind of investigator, prober, trying to delve into a more symbolic
realm, trying to ferret out certain instances, stories, vignettes, which
somehow have some larger resonance.  They are moved into an imaginary
situation.  There is a surreality about them.

LR:   I think I follow you, and my personal take on your work is that there
is very little of your own fantasy life going on in these works.  I think
you are very adept at manipulating symbolic regimes and conventions of
sexuality, let's say, precisely to seduce people into of metaphors of
consciousness or connections to other aspects of our lives in this
technological moment.  You wrote an essay in 1997 which I think is really
wonderful called "Mobilization," in which you are talking about metaphors of
consciousness, and specifically about cinema, and you talked about something
that cinema did called "performative corporealization."  I wonder if you
could explain, first of all, performative corporealization -- you defined it
as the viewer's internalization of the conditions of representational
apparatus of film -- and talk about how we've moved from that metaphor, the
cinematic metaphor, to that of the database.

JC:   Performative corporealization is looking at how the body, through
circuits and cycles of repetition, sediments itself, places itself, performs
itself.  It's related to a lot of performative theory, people like Judith
Butler.  Embodiment is always an in/habiting process, we are always being
shaped and shaping ourselves through these circuits.  This involves various
kinds of coordinations, and various sensitizations to different kinds of
movements.  In relationship to cinema, I think of Serge Daney, who was a
brilliant French critic, who wrote on how cinema was about a kind of locking
into place of a viewer, a fixing of a location of viewership, immobilizing a
viewer, in order to sensitize this viewer to new mobilities.  Often you can
think this relationship in terms of dances between mobility and immobility
-- coordinations or exchanges between different rates of mobility.  At one
time we thought we were becoming digital couch potatoes, we were thinking
that we would become immobilized at the computer monitor.  In a lot of
cyberpunk fiction like that of William Gibson, the body became "meat" --
parked at the monitor, a lump of flesh.  There was a sense that we were
leaving the physical self and moving out into this virtual realm.  But in
fact, you can see that as a stage, in a longer-term process of immobilizing
a viewer in order to instill a new sense of mobility, accustomizing the
viewer to new worlds of movement.  So it's interesting to think the history
of cinema as part of an apparatus of locationing and sensitization,
instilling in a newly immobilized public new formats of movement.
Computerization also has that dimension.  If you start to think about these
larger dynamics, you can start to think of these new visual systems as
involved in staging that process. What are the mechanisms behind that, what
are the interests behind that, and how can we use that awareness to develop
a politics of seeing?
There is a kind of mutation of images that occur in this landscape, and that
is that images become part of processing systems, parts of apparatus that
"see back" at us.  It involves a kind of reversal of vision, displacing our
location as privileged sites in the viewing exchange.  We are seen, before
we see.  We are identified, before we identify.  There are biometric
systems, and other kinds of systems, which lock onto you, identify you
through your behavior patterns or biological characteristics.  It is a kind
of switching of positions, and this is a very important change to think
about.

LR:  With that, I think we'll open up the discussion to the audience.

Audience:  In response to what you are saying and your mention of Paul
Virilio, I'm thinking of his concept of "polar inertia," and his discussion
of how the world, and our perception of things becoming real, involves a
highly mediated perception.

JC:  I was really disappointed in Virilio's concept of polar inertia.
Because he positions it as a one-way concept.  We're at the center of a
world of movement where we are required to stay in place while worlds of
images are streamed through us.  Worlds of motion, virtual worlds, stream
through us while we sit fixated.  But it is a faulty concept because,
thinking about mobile communications for example, with new arrays of modes
of access, and a launching of the body back into circulation, we have to
think of dances and exchanges between mobility and immobility -- of certain
kinds of coordinations, coordination mechanisms among rates of movement.
Around that we're talking about mediatized reality and our relationship to
the real.

Audience:  You are using a lot of military technology, and I was wondering
how available it is.  How do you inform yourself about it?

JC:  Research.  A lot of this equipment is available.  With the Infrared
thermal imaging camera, for example, we couldn't get the camera from the US
Border Patrol, but it was easy to get it on loan from the manufacturer.  It
was a less expensive version, of course.  I got permission to spend time
with the US Border Patrol to see how they use the camera, and then I got the
actual camera from another source.
There is a lot of flow between the military and commercial realms.  The
night vision equipment from ITT, the company that also supplies the
military, is commercially available.  Once you start researching a lot this
stuff you find that commercial versions of it are surprisingly available.
Well, at least to an American who is not targeted for suspicion, of course.
There is a lot of information out there on what the military is doing.  The
Department of Defense has a good website, they even have a mailinglist
called "Combat Camera," which is one of my favorites.  They even have their
own little Academy Awards for the best military videographers and military
productions.  Check out the US Space Command website (SPACECOM).  You think
that a lot of this would be hidden. It's surprisingly available.  If this
much information is available, it really makes you wonder what is hidden.
It's an interesting realm to think about where we're going, because it all
filters into culture.  The Army talks about the soldier of the 21st century,
for example -- the ways in which the body is fortified and made more
productive on the battlefield.  It connects very strongly to the cyborg
imaginary.  The Army talks about how, through new communications or
telepresence systems, the soldier's actual presence on the battlefield may
not be required.  There is talk about the outfitting of the eyes with
scrims, which overlay databased schematics on the field of vision. Companies
like Boeing, for example, are already using such systems to increase
worker's productivity.  They can call up schematics on the part of the
airplane they're working on, and overlay these diagrams over the work area.
All of this talk of making the soldier more productive, enhancing its
capabilities to fight, is the same as that of enhancing the worker.  To
produce better, to be more in touch, to be more efficient.  So it relates
very much to the general concern of increasing performance efficiency
through biological augmentation, of altering and enhancing the body, making
it better able to see, move, perform, execute.  With that, of course, come
changing cultural concepts of fitness.  There are so many flows back and
forth between civilian and military, work machine and war machine, you
sometimes have to wonder where the divisions are.  My work is a deep
meditation of this.

Audience:  You said that we are known before we know - things know us before
we know them.  That there are cameras watching us everywhere...

JC:  Yes, there are cameras watching you now.  (laughter)  There are
biometric systems now, which scan your physical characteristics in order to
identify you.  It might be a retinal scanner, it might be a face recognition
program that has your facial characteristics stored in a database.  We are
always willingly surrendering information about ourselves and our behaviors,
mostly for the purposes of commerce, and generally to save time, to make
things more convenient, more reliable, or safer.  When you go to a website
and it knows what you shop for, and gears certain advertisements
specifically to you, it targets in this way based on your past behavior.
Your behavior is very trackable, and you don't even know you are divulging
it.  Sensar Inc was testing these retinal scanners -- I don't know if they
are currently yet in use -- where you go to the ATM and it can identify you
with nearly 100% accuracy. No two people have the same retinal pattern.  We
willingly surrender our retinal pattern, we allow it to be uploaded into the
database, because it's safer, no one could steal your ATM card and pose as
you, and it's more time-saving and convenient, you don't have to punch in a
PIN number.  This kind of retinal match is more reliable than card or code,
no one can tamper with it.  With biometrics no one else can pose as us, no
one else has the same retinal pattern, fingerprint, facial pattern.
So very often we surrender these kinds of things under the auspices of
convenience, safety, portability, reliability.  It opens the doors of
access. With GPS systems and new location-based services, it makes a new
kind of visibility.  It makes us newly visible, it makes a new kind of
access to us.  It is a whole apparatus of our being seen, that is largely
invisible to us, and it becomes so powerful that it may be the thing that
sees us first.  It may be the thing that sets the terms.
We're still stuck with the illusion that we see first -- that we are the
primary seers.  We're saddled with the old visual conventions that make this
apparatus continually invisible to us.  We need to create a more political
awareness of this.  We need to see the image less in terms of its being
offered up to us and more of a ruse, a cover for a port through which we are
imaged.

LR:  I think there is a comment in one of your essays -- I am not sure if it
was you or if you were quoting someone else -- that says that images are
obsolete, they are too slow.  That the speed of the database is the level of
cognition that we need to aspire to, to keep up with our oppressors, or what
have you, which is a daunting task.  I'm curious about this because it seems
to me that your own work is becoming slower, moving towards the image rather
than away from it.  Five years ago, your work was radically distributed on
the net, strictly speaking, it was net work, you were engaged with these
forums, these conversations on the net, that was your artistic practice. Now
you're making beautiful movies.  How do you explain this?

JC:  The online forums are more a part of my critical practice, which began
with a publication called Blast in 1991.  Blast was centered around
discursive activity, and around 1994, most of this started to occur on the
net.  Around 1996 I started to develop my own personal practice.  Blast
still continued, and I've been engaged in both kinds of activity.  The
online forums of Blast are specifically about dealing with these and other
critical issues, and my own personal work goes off into a different kind of
space.  It revolves around the image, and yes, often very slowly and
seductively.  I need the image, in order to understand its obsolescence, its
masquerades.

[further discussion ensued, but was not caught on tape]

##

transcribed by Mark Ashbery

Lawrence Rinder is Curator of Contemorary Art at the Whitney Museum.

http://www.blast.org/crandall
http://www.whitney.org