t byfield on Wed, 2 May 2001 20:29:54 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] [josh@hermenaut.com: Baffler: In Flames]

----- Forwarded

Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:49:56 -0500
To: josh@hermenaut.com
From: Joshua Glenn <josh@hermenaut.com>
Subject: Baffler: In Flames

Catastrophe! Many of you may have already heard all about this, but I
thought I'd better send this along in case you hadn't. The Baffler is my
favorite magazine. Please help out if you can.

Josh

From: "t. c. frank" <t-frank-3@alumni.uchicago.edu>

Dear Friend of The Baffler:

On the morning of April 25th, our office and the unique building in which
it was housed were destroyed in a fire. In addition to the Baffler office,
the building was home to a close community of artists, writers, nonprofit
organizations, and small businesses. No one was injured in the fire, but
the physical damage was extensive. Worse, however, was the devastation of a
vital center of cultural activity.

We're struggling to cope with our losses and those of our friends. We have
set up a temporary office and will do our best to publish Baffler #14
(which was sent to the printer a week before the fire) as scheduled. It now
appears that our subscriber list is recoverable, so we are hopeful that
everyone will get their copy of the magazine. For now, though, we have no
computers, no contact lists, no rolodexes, no desks, and no desk lamps.

We and our friends are determined to rebuild and recover, but we need help.
For those who can, please send donations made out to The Baffler Recovery
Fund to:

The Baffler Magazine
P. O. Box 378293
Chicago, IL 60637

Donations are tax-deductible.

In-kind help would also be greatly appreciated. We're hoping we can score a
few iMacs mothballed in the warehouses of northern California after the
dot-com bankruptcies of recent months. Or, on the humbler, more second-wave
side, just some file cabinets, or desks, or carpets, or one of those huge
unabridged dictionaries. Let us know if you can help with any of these.
And, as our e-mail lists are incomplete, please forward this message to
anyone you know who would be interested.

Thanks to everyone who has called in sympathy.

Emily Vogt
Greg Lane
Tom Frank
Dave Mulcahey

P.S. Funds are also being set up for our friends. Information on those
funds will be posted on our Web site shortly.