Nmherman on Sat, 12 May 2001 05:36:12 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] I'll be at William Mitchell at 8am

++

I'll be at William Mitchell for the Ed Herman talk tomorrow, and will
interview him for IMC if he's amenable.  I have had some interesting
questions submitted to me for Mr. Herman, but I think the attached text sums
it up fairly well.

My printer here at home is out of ink so if someone going to the panel (I
highly recommend it) could print this out for me I'd appreciate it.

I will also help set up the table if anyone else is there.

Max Herman

Subj:    Re: <thingist> Indymedia is Good
Date:   5/11/2001 3:30:17 PM Central Daylight Time
From:   jjzeidner@yahoo.com (josh zeidner)
To: thingist@bbs.thing.net
CC: nmherman@aol.com

> Also, I'm going to interview on video Edward Herman,
> co-author of
> Manufacturing Consent, tomorrow (Sat. 5/12) at the
> William Mitchell
> College of Law.  The interview is for IMC-MN, of
> which I am an
> idiosyncratic but dedicated member.  If anyone has a
> question for Mr.
> Edward Herman (sic) send it to me at
> nmherman@aol.com.

  Actually I do have a question...

  I think that the premise behind the early internet
revolution had a lot to do with "Manufacturing
Consent".  Hidden behind much of the rhetoric was the
idea that we could build an indestructable system for
communication that would bypass all structures of
power and information control.  In as little as ten
years, the internet has come to be known as a source
of disinformation and corporatization of society and
politics( both from dominant and fringe groups ).  Do
you believe that the problems proposed in works like
"Manufacturing Consent" can be remedied by the
development of "media"( to connote a broad range of
tools and devices, digital or not )?

 My angle will