Doug Henwood on Tue, 22 May 2001 16:18:15 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> no people.

McKenzie Wark wrote:

>Those 'nature' documentaries annoy the hell out of me. They are part of
>an endless reduction of the life of the animal to the human, the measure
>of all things, apparently. The whole biological world is read in terms of
>its mirroring of our vanity.

I'd always thought it was the other way around - that nature
documentaries and such reduce the human to the animal: that they're
little morality plays of the nakedly Darwinian red in tooth & claw
sort. Relatedly, I've been struck lately by the way libertarians, for
all their talk of human freedom, love to invoke genetic imperatives,
as if competitive capitalism is coded in our DNA.
--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer