MC Reader on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:53:07 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Two Weeks to Go for the Rogue States

Hello

This is the SECOND call for content for the Rogue Sates Reader and a reminder
for peoples already working on content that the deadline is 2 weeks away - on
the 15th June 2001.

If you have already been in touch with us - one of our editorial members should
have responded. If you feel there has been an unreasonable delay in response -
please send the email again. (You should get a response within 96 hours).

Below is the original call-for-content:

Hello

We are producing a reader titled 'Rogue States' for the Media Circus 2001
event.

The Media Circus is a gathering of people who create, consume, critique and
distribute media content that challenges, questions and expresses our culture,
our society and the way we live. The event happens in Melbourne from the 13th
to 15th July, 2001, and will be comprised of screenings, workshops, forums and
exchanges.

Call for content:

This is the SECOND call for printable content to be considered for inclusion in
theReader which will aim to present a snapshot of the state of the
international media circus and provide views and ideas on how we can identify
and tackle the sensorial bombardment, establish mental defence shields and
develop our own media to challenge the established and propagate new stories in
our community.

Here are a list of words and phrases which will provide further guidance as to
the nature of content we are calling for: transnational protests and the
alt.media and alt.art machines; counter-culture-corporations and their tricks;
public relations, think-tanks, robot-artists, automatic journalists and traitor
academics; getting nasty - surveillance and censorship; misrepresentations,
deceptions and lies; new and converged media, hackers, viruses; political arts,
hip-hop, graffiti, and comedy.

We are especially keen to give space to stories from the invisible - from new
people and people who are outside the outside - from the colonies, the remote
regions and  the developing and 3rd worlds.

So we ask you to go berserk. We do not have much time. Maybe you know of
content in the public-domain compatible with being re-published in our Reader
or maybe you want to write something fresh. Don't forget images.

Our deadline for content is 15 June 2001. [ less that two weeks to go ]

Here's how you get involved:

If you have content which you feel should be considered for inclusion or have
any queries relating to content - please email:

     mc-reader-content@lists.myspinach.org

All messages sent to the above address will be sent to the editorial collective.

If you have any other queries or problems, reply to this email -
     mc-reader@antimedia.net

Once printed, Rogue States (working title) will be distributed internationally
to key media activist collectives and cultural organisations. The publication
will be in English however its content will call in to 'copyleft' and we would
welcome repurposing and translations as long as the moral rights of the author
and the publication is respected. It will also be available on da net.

------- ----- ---- -- -

Who is behind MediaCircus and the Rogue States Reader?

There is a small collective of volunteers who are organising MediaCircus and
the publication of Reader. We are genuinely interested in fostering a strong
progressive and critical media culture and come from various places but are
currently based in Melbourne. Our past and urrent involvements cover a broad
range of media and cultural practice and activism, including
melbourne.indymedia, S11 protests, National Young Writers Festival, exploring
the sociology of activism, investigating surveillance, organising screenings
and events, facilitating email lists, and making art content. We are students,
academics, media makers, writers and people wanting to create a more
sustainable future. Some of us do stuff with SKA TV, Voiceworks, Radio 3CR,
Friends of the Earth and The Paper. Some of our names are Nik Beuret, Marni
Cordell, Sam de Silva, Aizura Hankin, Alex Kelly, Rachel Maher, Lachlan
Simpson  and Karen Eliot.